If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R50 camshaft; -6 gear set

kenrcruise

R50 camshaft; -6 gear set

Post by kenrcruise »

My shop just informed me that my camshaft is pitted. They wanted to know if it should be installed (I wonder if this is a good idea). In addition they tell me it requires a -6 gear set. I asked if there was a shop located near or in Vancouver that could do some grinding to get the pitting out. They used to use one that has since closed its doors.

Any help please? I could send the camshaft and have them order the gear set in.

Regards,

Ken Cruise
Ken Cruise

malmac

Re: R50 camshaft; -6 gear set

Post by malmac »

Hi Ken

I see that Salis does not have any R50 camshafts in stock at present but maybe S Meyer or Mark Huggett might be able to supply.

My main point is re the -6 gear set.

I want to know how the person knows that you need a -6 gear set. If they are just looking at the number stamped on your crankcase, beware. I replaced my gearset with the number stamped on my gearcase and the gears were too tight. I have now gone down one size and the gear set is workable but really I should have gone down two sizes.

If however, they happen to have a new -6 gearset on the shelf and they have fitted them and found the backlash is to specification (.01~.02mm) then that is a different matter.

PM me if you want to discuss your situation in more detail.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

kenrcruise

Post by kenrcruise »

Thank you Mal!

I could ask my shop about it (I was there this morning!). I want to know what size they found when they opened up the engine. If I find that out I will PM you Again.

Ken Cruise
Ken Cruise

kenrcruise

Post by kenrcruise »

Mal, my crankcase has a #6 on it.
Ken Cruise

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

Lots of machine shops re-grind cam shafts. This one https://alecsautomotive.com/ is in Vancouver along with others. Also, UPS will take you to any other if you want R 50 specific experience. The parts books list individual numbers for the camshaft, the gears, bearings, etc that go with it. Are you sure you can't use your existing gears with a re-ground cam? Maybe they're good.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

kenrcruise

Post by kenrcruise »

Thanks for your reply weh8127!

I will get a recommendation on a shop to re-grind and re-surface, is it advisable to start with re-grinding first then determine size after? I will try Scottie's.

Ken Cruise

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

I think this will be helpful, https://w6rec.com/timing-gear-numbers/ . Scottie is doing a job for me right now, too.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1973 R75/5

kenrcruise

Post by kenrcruise »

Thanks Bill!

I'm looking at one on ebay (San Diego. Seller: 'greenie'). I'd appreciate an opinion after viewing the pictures. One more thing: Does the # stamped on the crankcase matter if the gears are already matched to the camshaft and are in good shape?

Regards,

Ken Cruise
Ken Cruise

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

The stamping on the crankcase and the timing gear numbers have really nothing to do with matching to a particular camshaft. It has to do with the center spacing of the crank and cam bores in the block. If your gears are in good shape and were running fine the way they were, leave them. Your cam gear will have a number scribed on it for sure, your crank gear may as well and if that's the case, add the two together to get the total gear set number. If original, it will match the number on the case.

Dave
Dave

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

No. One of Duane's points is the gear wear on the original gears compensates for the crank and camshaft getting closer together over time. So if the gears are not damaged, go ahead and use them.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1973 R75/5