If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Engine stand

sclafani

Engine stand

Post by sclafani »

So..My experince with is forum is to run things pass you guys first before spending any money buying crap that doesn't work. I'm looking for a reasonable priced engine stand (under $100 if possible). Preferably one I can get in the US. Any suggestions?

schrader7032

Re: Engine stand

Post by schrader7032 »

First try searching the forum using the search box at the upper right. Cycleworks.net has one for sale:

https://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?ma ... cts_id=380

Not sure how they work anymore...the owner has a regular "life" and doesn't get to his stuff as much as he used to.

Google "bmw motorcycle engine stand" and go to images...lots of ideas.

That said, seems like $100 is low IMO for the effort to build one. Maybe check ebay.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

sherman980

Post by sherman980 »

If you are able to rebuild an engine, you are easily capable of building a stand that will work for one engine. A couple of pieces of 2x4 with a couple of holes drilled through each and some all-thread will work just fine.... If you want to get a bit more "sophisticated" go to your local metal salvage yard and pick up some heavy (aluminum preferred) angle stock (pretty sure the ones I made years ago were from 4"x4") and drill accordingly. If you make them a little longer than the engine, they can hold the engine and transmission at the same time or even serve as a "build" stand. The good news is that the engine bolt spacing BMW used is the same from the 20's all the way into the 80's (maybe 90's - never owned anything that new - LOL!)

DSC03593.JPG
DSC03868.JPG
DSC05550.JPG
Thanks.
Chuck S

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

I basically did what chuck did.

Two pieces of angle iron. Drilled holes and voila I had a bench stand. I clamp it to the bench when I want to torque the flywheel bolt.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

thank you all...that's the exact info I was looking for. I kinda had that approach in mind ...but I wanted to hear it from someone else ...to assure the effort would work without any issues and I wan't wasting my time.
thx again!

Party hardy and stay safe!

sblaylock

Post by sblaylock »

I know this isn't a $100 stand, but it's somehting I cooked up several years ago and have greatly appreciated.

I used a Kent Moore Holding Fixture, then custom made something similar to what Chuck built that bolts to a Kent Moore Differential Housing Holder. Yes, it's big, but what's nice about it is it holds everything I've used - 1928 R62 engine and transmission, /2, /5 and /6 and it rotates and locks in 90 degree increments. As Chuck also said, the holes may work for others, but the above list is all I've tried it with.

This is the latest version with an R50S case in it.

2021-12-17_11-30-54.jpg
2021-12-17_11-31-53.jpg
2021-12-17_11-32-27.jpg
Scott Blaylock
Stoney Peak BMW Service
Victoria, BC. Canada
BMW Classic and Vintage Motorcycle Service and Restoration
service@stoneypeak.com