How much of the restoration will you do or did

PeeWee

Re: How much of the restoration will you do or did

Post by PeeWee »

@mal : did you have any bad experiences with work that Salis did for you or other people ?

malmac

Post by malmac »

PeeWee wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:22 am
@mal : did you have any bad experiences with work that Salis did for you or other people ?
I am in Australia, so have no experience with work from Salis. I do get parts from there amongst other sources.
Jan at Salis has been very helpful and I think he would always do quality work.

I have had my frame straightened by a chap in Australia, but that was many years ago and can't think of his name.

Other than that I have done all the work on refurbishing my engine myself.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

One of the things that stands between restoring your own bike is knowledge, which is an easy fix: just learn new things. The other issue is usually an excuse about time and general economy, which is much harder to deal with.

Everyone does a bit of a metric in their minds about how much something will cost and how long it will take. It usually takes us completely out of the game to begin with - we simply cannot afford it in either time or money.

The the secret is to think of it holistically, not as some kind of single, linear event. If you see it as work, and do a little every day (or ever weekend), even if it is just 1 thing (like turning one screw, labeling 1 wire, etc) then these issues tend to resolve themselves. Buy parts as needed and just go through it item by item. Make sure you have something else to ride, something dependable, so there is no "waiting" for something. Don't set time targets and forget time, just think of it as a regular ritual. If your tired or have something else to do, then do it and don't feel bad. Just enforce a rigid code: you have to do at least 1 thing in your free time every week.

I've found this is the key to stress free success in projects going back 25 years. Adding a few projects to the mix also is possible, you just do something else when your waiting on something from the other project. The key thing is to DO something, not think about it too much. I've probably wasted half my free time worrying about the effort it takes to do something which actually barely rivals the effort to think about it in the first place.
1969 r60/2, 1972 r75/5, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Ducati 750 GT, 1966 Honda 450 Black Bomber, 1965 Honda Superhawk, 1971 Honda CB 750

San Francisco, CA