If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Kickstarter Rubber Stop

jwonder

Re: Kickstarter Rubber Stop

Post by jwonder »

This is interesting. When I was over at Veterama last in 2019, I was actually looking to buy bump rubbers (the ones I had broke in 3 months and were poorly made) and was holding two kickstarter bump stops from a reputable parts source and they were two different sizes. No doubt about it. I told the person it was for my R69S and they pointed to the larger of the two. When I asked for one for my R51/3 the parts person shrugged (and I don't speak much German) and he said take the smaller one. By the way my R51/3 could have used the larger one but the smaller one works just fine.

When I looked in our library http://vintagebmw.org/library then selected R50 and parts manual from 1956 it is listed as part number 40 34 256.

I then looked at the newer parts book and I see both 40 34 256 and 40 34 257 and one seems to be "with screws" and one without, BUT the interesting thing is that they are listed for DIFFERENT models! 256 is listed for the R50/60 and R69 and 257 for the slash/2's. Very interesting and they both need screws so why the difference in part numbers, descriptions and models?

I might suggest ordering the one for the R27 (which I know is smaller) and try that one. Also beware that many repops are way too soft and break very easily.

I hope this helps.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

CWRoady

Re: Kickstarter Rubber Stop

Post by CWRoady »

Thanks for the engagement on this folks. Yesterday morning I put grip tape under the stop and I changed out the nut and bolt for an all threaded allen head (was difficult to hold that 9mm inside the dog ears of the clamps on the stock nut and bolt). Got an excellent 185 mile loop in afterwards where I stopped and started 3-4 times and so far so good.

Edit 2/16 FWIW, still no bueno.
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS