If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Enduro bags

wa1nca

Resistor

Post by wa1nca »

Jon
The reason I use a resistor in this design is because a single filament led 1156 bulb which fits the original enduro bad socket can be used for 2 functions without any socket modifications
Brake/Tail

In the next pic
I am using a dual filament led 1157 bulb for 3 functions
Brake/Tail/ & L/R Blinkers
I did have to make a small change to the bulb and socket
I can show a pic if anyone would like to see how

Tommy
Attachments
resized.jpg
resized.jpg (100.58 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

FL54

Ground

Post by FL54 »

Thanks Tommy. Yes, I've learned the lesson the hard way about keeping lids locked while riding. The PO is sending a pair of original keys with the bags. I haven't gotten the bags yet, but in the pictures it appears that there is only one wire. Have you seen cases where the bag lights were grounded through the mounting hardware and a ground wire wasn't necessary? Also, just wanted to confirm that after disconnecting tail light wire (and connecting to license plate light), the resistor goes between the brake and taillight inside the taillight assembly.
Thanks again.
Central Oregon

wa1nca

Ground Wire

Post by wa1nca »

You should see a wire with a big spade lug connected to the light fixture mounting bracket and going to the lower fastener inside the the bag for the ground

The 2nd photo shows a better picture of the tail light wiring
They are the same with or without blinkers

Find which wire is used for the brake light and connect one side of the resistor that connection
The other wire going to your led taillight should be for the tail light and also to the plate light
Leave that wire connected to the plate light and remove the wire going to your tail light connection
Connect the other side of the resistor to the wire that goes to the plate light and taillight feed wire

This may sound confusion
Yes you will be only using 1 side of your led tail light assy
It will work because now with the taillight on, the brake light will get 4 volts and will be dimmer than the brake light
With the brake light on it will get full voltage and be bright

This needs to be done so a single 1156 bulb in your bags will now work for Tail/brake function

Hope your bags arrive tomorrow

Tommy
413 628 3958

The ground wire is not changed
Tommy Byrnes
Ashfield, Ma
USA

thanson

Thank you for that part

Post by thanson »

I bought my lights from a seller on eBay who no longer offers them, but some others do, and they are less expensive than what I paid. The part number for the version that I bought is:

2SA 997 022-001 HELLA Tail Light C5W.

If you copy and Google that, you should see several sources for the lights, including some current listings on eBay. It looks like you can get a pair for under $50, shipping included.

Now that you have the bags, the two forum threads below will be helpful as you address the installation and light modifications. In the first one, the search for replacement lights is covered. In the second thread, my posts describe what I did to modify the lights so that they would accept REALLY bright LED bulbs and serve as both running lights and turn signals. Note that I have a 12V conversion on my bike, so this solution may not be right for you unless you can find a 6V version of the LEDs.

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/14894

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/15192
Thank you for that part number. I just ordered a pair...they are coming from the UK.

I read through your posts...very good info. My bike is still 6v at the moment but I have a new in the box Power Dynamo 12v setup that I will install before the Bags get installed

I am planning on converting these Hella lights to utilize small but very powerful/excellent quality 12v LED light boards (that double as a tail/brake light) that I have sourced locally. I can let you or anyone else know how that works out if anyone is interested.

FL54

Thanks

Post by FL54 »

Thanks Tommy for all your help on this. I'm pretty sure I understand now how to wire this. I've ordered the resistors and the 1156 led bulbs for the bags and the bags should arrive tomorrow. I'm sure it will be clearer when I actually have them in hand. Unfortunately, we are experiencing Snowmaggedon right now. It started yesterday evening and it hasn't stopped yet. I spent all morning clearing my road and I have to go back out and start again.
Must be global warming. I hope the bags get here tomorrow but if my road isn't clear, the driver won't attempt delivery.
Thanks again.
Central Oregon

skychs

bags

Post by skychs »

Please keep us posted on your project. I may end up doing the same thing with my Enduro bags. Bright running lights in addition to bright brakes lights would be great to have.
chuck
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

FL54

Roger Skychs, will do. Once

Post by FL54 »

Roger Skychs, will do. Once everything gets here, I'll put it all together. I'll have plenty of time given the amount of snow we're getting. It'll be quite some time before I'll be able to road test.
Central Oregon

FL54

Bags arrived the other day

Post by FL54 »

Bags arrived the other day and I'm generally pleased with the condition. Resistor and bulbs scheduled for delivery today (although mail delivery has been disrupted because of heavy snowfall.)
Apparently, one lid probably came off at some time as it has been repaired (not visible on the outside.)
The prongs of the bracket on the leading edge of the lid are broken off. Does anyone know if replacement parts are available for these bags? I've seen mounting hardware on eBay but no internal parts.
Otherwise, I'll have to come up with some Rube Goldberg solution for securing the front edge of the lid.
Thanks in advance.
Central Oregon

wa1nca

Top lid bracket

Post by wa1nca »

Glad to here you received your bags

If you can find the old lid just remove the bracket and install it on the one you have
Good luck

Did the seller mention that is was missing

Good news is that you have one from the other side and this is why Rube Goldberg is still a workable solution

Tommy

Tommy Byrnes
Ashfield, Ma
USA

FL54

Thanks Tommy. I didn't make

Post by FL54 »

Thanks Tommy. I didn't make myself clear. I don't have an extra lid. One of the lids must have come off a some point in the past and broke the prongs off. Seller did note that there was a repair to one lid but wasn't specific. If my rivet gun has a long enough reach, I'll drill out the rivets and weld some new prongs to the bracket and reinstall. A little bit of work but riding weather is still a ways off.
Having never seen these bags, I don't know but there is a small latch on the front of the lid that may not be original. It may hold but I'll feel better with the prongs in the holes on the front of the bags.
Central Oregon