If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Flywheel removal problem

jwonder

Flywheel removal problem

Post by jwonder »

Started to remove the flywheel in my R69s, got the all-in-one tool up there and I promptly stripped the holes in the flywheel. I didn't even put much pressure on them. I was just about to do the heat and "wack it with a hammer" routine but wanted to get some tension on it before I did that.

Also, I ran a tap back through it and I was surprised at how easy the tap cut the metal. Its not very hardened steel as far as I am concerned.

So, what do you all think I should be doing at this point? One idea was to weld in bolts and use them to pull with. Or another idea I had was to weld on nuts and use those to pull with. Once I have the flywheel off I can grind the bolts or nuts off and clean the surface up properly for re-use. A friend is a professional welder and is fabulous with these things.

I am not sure if this would warp the flywheel though.

BY THE WAY, everything on this motorcycle is hard to get off. Its not been touched for 50 years.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

James
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Daves79x

I Found

Post by Daves79x »

When I removed the flywheel on my R50, I found the two threaded holes you refer to had been drilled and tapped for some SAE size (Don't remember what just now). You can likely do the same. So I had to rework the tool to use bolts that fit. After all that, I found the flywheel taper to be defective anyway and it would not center when I re-installed it. Found a good used one and all's well now.

Dave
Dave

jwonder

Re-tap

Post by jwonder »

Thanks Dave, that is exactly what I am planning on doing. Just have not had time yet. I will let the group know how it goes.
James Wonder
Long Island, New York

pokie

Flywheel

Post by pokie »

The flywheel is forged, so welding may not be the best solution. I think I would try tapping out the bolt holes to see if the puller would work with a larger bolt, use a bottoming tap. It's not uncommon for the key on the crank to shear, you may be dealing with a scored and stuck situation. If the tapping out of the holes doesn't work, you may have to make a tool that uses the clutch bolts and pushes against the case (bell housing). When you use the puller holes in the flywheel, the bolts don't have to be any tighter than snug.

oldtimers.si

BMW R60 clutch and flywheel removal

Post by oldtimers.si »

hi, here is solution
you must heating with hot fen and spread with Rorsch Magic sprey
then go easy

then put new seal

here is tool

remove flywheel

regards,Mec

malmac

Elegant work by Jan

Post by malmac »

In the posted link Jan removes the fly wheel so beautifully.....

But that is not an engine that hasnt been touched for 50 years - so in some ways it could be misleading.

Its not even the original clutch or flywheel.......

I had a flywheel puller at some stage in the past which bolted onto the flywheel using all the 8mm bolts - it was a large plate the size of the flywheel and about 8mm thick.
Handy for pulling really stubborn flywheels - however it did restrict access to the centre of the flywheel if heat was needed.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

jwonder

Removed!!!

Post by jwonder »

All,

I wanted to update you all on the flywheel removal. The flywheel is off and it looks beautiful! It did not spin on the crank and it was just tight from age.

The way I got it off is as follows.
I tapped the two holes with a 10mm x 1.5 tap. Even though the threads stripped on the 10mm x 1.00 the new threads are good. I put the crank puller on with the new bolts and NOTHING!! It would not budge. It was super tight, so tight that when I hit the center bolt the whole puller and flywheel rang like a bell. Loud.

Heat and tapping the puller did nothing. I did heat, soak with PB blaster, hit with hammer and repeat for 3 days!! Nothing! No movement. The puller was so tight I had breaker bars to tighten it. Nothing as I did not want to make it any tighter.

After 3 days I got thick angle iron and cut 3 x 9” pieces. I drilled holes and bolted to the 6 outside clutch bolt holes. The threads are 8mm x 1.0 and i didn’t even need to tighten them much, about a full turn each past finger tight and the flywheel popped right off.

The flywheel taper and crank taper is beautiful. The seal seat is wonderful and it’s great I saved the original R69S flywheel.

Just wanted to let you all know what I did to get it off. Thanks for all the help!!!
James Wonder
Long Island, New York

malmac

Fantastic

Post by malmac »

Great outcome.

Very pleased to hear it has come out well.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia