If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

After a 3 year search, I just bought an R Bike

schrader7032

Good on you! Seems pretty

Post by schrader7032 »

Good on you! Seems pretty nice. Mufflers are aftermarket of some kind. The solo seat is cracked up near the nose...that will eventually split. I had that happen to my 65 year-old Pagusa solo seat...a Biyotch to get a new rubber saddle back on. Those case guards were one of the styles that were available at the time.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

808Airhead

Well bought! That is a

Post by 808Airhead »

Well bought! That is a nice,original paint bike and other than the mufflers looks very original with all the right parts there,I would believe that is the original miles as well due to the condition of the bike. It has all the
old bits" still on there. Have fun!
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

miller6997

I agree...

Post by miller6997 »

This looks like a really solid bike. With a little elbow grease, it should clean up and look really sharp. If you haven't ridden a /2 before, be careful and patient in learning to shift it. At first, it may seem like a tractor, but you should soon get the hang of it.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

schrader7032

After a 3 year search, I just bought an R Bike

Post by schrader7032 »

This bike hit all my "must haves", except that it is a R50 and not and R60. I am told I will hardly notice the difference.

The link is below. As I have never owned one of these before, I thought I would share the link to the pics so all you "experts" can review and tell me what maynot be original (I have never seen header collars like these, and what about that petcock) and any other items I should be aware of......Can't wait to swing a leg over this bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-BMW-R-Seri ... 7675.l2557
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Slash2

Looks good!

Post by Slash2 »

I was watching this one on eBay out of mild curiosity, wasn't planning to bid though it just seemed like a nice bike. The collars are standard issue for R50's and R60's. The petcock is a Karcoma replacement of the original Everbest (Everleak). Everything else looks pretty standard. Those headlight mirrors were/are a popular add-on, there's a threaded hole in your left handlebar control for a mirror which I prefer to the headlight variety myself as I'm more interested in what's going on behind me than the appearance of my knees. I'll echo the sentiments of others in supporting original mileage numbers. She looks right. She's missing the fixing bolt on the rear right side fender hinge. May have rattled off on the road? The left side nut is there, but it's not original. Your right side rear suspension adjustment lever has been intentionally bent inward. Often this is done on both sides to accommodate panniers of some variety but when you only see it on one side I would guess the bike may have a sidecar attached at some point? Not sure about the mufflers, they're obviously not original, could be Hoske's? Might consider checking out the wheel bearings up front, those faint lines projecting outward from the center of the hub are likely grease that has become heated at speed and found it's way out. If they're original, it's probably time anyway. That rear rack is drilled and tapped with three holes to accommodate the passenger Denfeld or Pagasa solo saddle. A lot of the guys around here like to trash talk this saddle for a litany of reasons but I've gotta say as someone who has used it extensively with passengers, I can't imagine a better passenger seat was ever made. That said, my passengers have all been petite young ladies so I can't account for the larger, older crowd but they've all loved it and most have mentioned how fun it is to ride. Just my $.02

Have fun!
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

808Airhead

Yes,/2 has a great

Post by 808Airhead »

Yes,/2 has a great point,there is a very long period of learning how to shift these bikes.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

Daves79x

Think You Did OK

Post by Daves79x »

I think you paid the going price for such a bike, maybe even a bit under if all proves as advertised. Looks like the left front shock is leaking. Might look into replacing both fronts. Those headlight mirrors are the real deal Alberts, not the copy Bumm(er) ones that you cannot see out of.

A really good clean-up and detailing would let you become familiar with the bike more. It has a lot of the factory goodies still unmolested, so careful before removing/replacing something. Looks like all the original wire clips are still in place even.

If you plan on really riding the bike, you really should upgrade the steering bearings to tapered rollers and upgrade the front brake lining and have the drum(s) trued. A must if you plan on riding in modern traffic much.

Even though it runs well now, get yourself a Barrington manual and read a little at a time. You will undoubtedly need to do at least normal maintenance and troubleshooting, and you need to be well-armed to do it. Congrats and good luck!

Dave
Dave

stagewex

Looks really nice and I

Post by stagewex »

Looks really nice and I believe you got a good deal on it too.
Phil Cheney did extensive work on my r60/2 as well via the previous owner and later myself. If the work was done by him when he was working at Cliff's BMW then that's a long time ago. I'd start at the front and just slowly make my way towards the back of the bike fixing and adjusting whatever she needs along the way. These bikes are tanks when set-up correctly. She's a beauty, enjoy.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

Connor1

Thanks Dave. School me on the

Post by Connor1 »

Thanks Dave.

School me on the shocks. Do you buy new shocks and replace the old or is this a seal and oil renewal?

Anyway to tell if it has already had tapered rollers installed? Just by steering feel?

Yes I will be riding in charity rides and on weekends, so will make sure brakes are as good as I canget them.

Daves79x

Shocks

Post by Daves79x »

The shocks come apart (you need a compressor tool) and inside is an hydraulic cartridge, that's threaded into the lower eye. The cartridges are, for all practical purposes, not rebuildable. Replacement cartridges are readily available, both original-equipment grade and aftermarket. About $250/set of 2. Front and rear are different. You might also check the silent blocks on all four shocks. When worn, they can present interference problems with the towers on the rear, and handling issues as well. Replacement is cheap and easy as well.

Steering bearings are critical. I'd remove the bars and top bridge to see what you do have. Replacement tapered rollers are inexpensive, but race removal can be tricky and adjusting the tapered ones needs to be done carefully and correctly. Makes a world of difference.

Learn how the double-leading shoe front brake system works, how to set them up and correctly adjust them. With that, round drums and the upgrade to a modern, high coefficient of friction lining, these WILL stop.

I just have to add here that this is a really great adventure you are about to embark on. Properly set up, these things are an absolute hoot to ride. I finally got to ride mine this Spring after a 2-year restoration. Really enjoying it and hope you do as well!

Dave
Dave