If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Deep Oil pan question

Twocams

I just bought one. Hard to

Post by Twocams »

I just bought one. Hard to tell just from pictures if I want it or not for sure. So Ill just take a good look at it and see to keep or not to keep. Sold by spike_buck on ebay. I have bought several things from him over the last 3 yrs and fast shipping. Still takes 5-7 days to get to West coast.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

miller6997

Please explain!

Post by miller6997 »

How does the larger pan make oil changes more difficult? My '67 has had the extra-capacity pan since new, and I can change the oil in five minutes, start to finish.

My brother (the first owner) installed the pan originally because he rode a lot in the deserts of California, Arizona, and Mexico. I have no way of knowing whether there is any real measurable benefit, but the bike is entering its fiftieth year and still going strong.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Slash2

My $.02

Post by Slash2 »

How does the larger pan make oil changes more difficult? My '67 has had the extra-capacity pan since new, and I can change the oil in five minutes, start to finish.

It isn't so much the pan that makes the problem, it's the odd capacity. That stock pan calls for a nice even 2 quarts, while the deep sump falls somewhere around 2.65 if memory serves. So preparing that quantity requires one to measure it out adding a step to the process as opposed to simply dumping two quarts in and being done with it. Once you accurately determine the exact volume, you could simply buy an appropriate measuring device and simply prepare the appropriate amount.

I order as per Vech's recommendation, Valvoline VR 1 Racing oil and it comes in 6 quart cases. With the standard pan, this case will do three changes, but you can only do 2 with an odd amount of oil leftover on the deep sump.

While I wouldn't say that dealing with any of this is technically "difficult," it's inconvenient to say the least and without any real proof that this feature truly adds a tangible benefit, I'd rather stick with the standard pan.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

olebmw

If its made of aluminium it

Post by olebmw »

If its made of aluminium it should seal against the engine case better than the steel pan and not weep oil over time...I think.

miller6997

Different strokes...

Post by miller6997 »

I can understand staying with stock if there is in fact no added benefit with the larger pan, but inconvenience? The larger pan holds very close to 2.5 liters. I have a one-liter plastic container that I fill two and a half times and pour it through the funnel into the engine. Not too taxing. Of course, I usually have a partial quart sitting on the shelf between changes, but I've learned to tolerate that. ;^}
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Twocams

Got my new deep pan today. So

Post by Twocams »

Got my new deep pan today. So went out to my new shop where I replaced the pan. And as luck would have it, got a drip of oil on my new concrete floor. Well it's broke in now. Not hard to do except the new thick paper gasket was a pain to line the last 2 bolts up. Think Ill use cork next time I have to replace it. I didnt let it run to long but while the heads were to hot to keep my hand on. The pan was barely warm.

Got my insulation up,A/C hooked up & new cost me nothing ceiling fan. Hey it's just a shop.

twocams
Attachments
new_deep_oil_pan_r69s_001.jpg
new_deep_oil_pan_r69s_001.jpg (176.18 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
new_deep_oil_pan_r69s_007.jpg
new_deep_oil_pan_r69s_007.jpg (414.28 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
new_deep_oil_pan_r69s_010.jpg
new_deep_oil_pan_r69s_010.jpg (506.07 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

VintageSalesandRestorations

Oil pan

Post by VintageSalesandRestorations »

Hi,

This may be a bit late, but make sure you put sealant on all the threads of the bolts that hold the pan on.

It will seep if you don't.

Jeff

robgernstetter

oil pan

Post by robgernstetter »

There are different quality large oil pans out there...some are not so good...can't remember which one I ended up using...and you need to tighten the bolts after you run the bike the first time...not sure a cork seal is the way to go with aluminum on the case and pan.

Goomicoo

I use silicon gaskets for the

Post by Goomicoo »

I use silicon gaskets for the pan and the valve covers. Easy Peasy.
'64 R69s
'66 R60
'67 R69s
'68 R50

sorbo1

Deep Sump

Post by sorbo1 »

I have a 1961 R69s , I live in Australia . I have fitted a deep sump bought from Germany . Certainly no problems . I have lock wired the oil pickup extension and have magnetic drain plugs throught the bike . No problems but I check the allen screws that hold the sump in . The thread on the sump was a loose fit with the magnetic drain plug so i have wired in in also .