If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/2 conversion help

customzef

/2 conversion help

Post by customzef »

I have a mid 60's /2 rolling chassis now... It is the basis for a conversion machine,thanks to Barton in New Hampshire.. Thanks Bart ! I was hoping some forum members could point me in the right direction as far as where to source the parts and pieces needed like drive shaft mods,brake mods,any "how to"
Guides or even a shop that specializes in these type of conversions,I'd even
Be interested in contracting someone to do the complete build.... Start to finish,that's all
From me,anyone have a conversion bike or can help I would be very appreciative
Thanks to all

Jeff
Better to have the part and not need it.... Than to need the part and not have it
Zefer T 2014

jrapose

It's not all that hard, but have a plan

Post by jrapose »

Years ago, BMW "ON" magazine did a 3 part series on building a conversion... (I actually know where that bike is) and it covered the construction fairly well.... If you have a pre-64 (if I remember correctly ) you will want to have a welder install a brace just aft of the engine area where the frame has an upright... it often cracks at that point and the later frames were braced at that point... also you will need to decide what to do with your Leading Link cross brace so it will not be terribly close to the front of the donor front cover... I always trim about half the back of that cross piece and weld in a matching flat plate in that spot... just as strong (I think) and makes about 1/2" clearance..... but others have the forks bent to a different angle, and some move that brace up (I don't think moving the brace looks good..just me) As far as the rear end....easy...and there is only one thing to do..... Have Brock Downey make an adaptor kit for you.... it truly is the best way...then you can install a /6 or later differential and be done with it..../2 differentials are getting hard to find, they are limited to the gear ratios available and they are not nearly strong enough.... do it once correctly and your done.... the later differentials are easy and available... as far as brakes.... I use the drum of the /6 rear...and add a inexpensive Kawaski caliper in the front... inexpensive and a /6 wheel will work there.... it's 19" and the /2 wheel is a 18"

The best move for you is to purchase a decent /6 or /7 and use that for your parts bike.... way less expensive that way...I always use R90/6 bikes but a R75/6 would work really well too.... I don't think I would waste my time using a R50 or R60 running gear...just too many good parts bikes available..

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

schrader7032

Joel - Would that happen to

Post by schrader7032 »

Joel -

Would that happen to be August, September, November 1982??
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jrapose

I am not sure, but that

Post by jrapose »

I am not sure, but that sounds about right....it as done at San Jose BMW if I recall correctly...
There is also a /2 conversion group on Yahoo...if it still exists... it would be a good idea to see if there is anyone near where you live to walk you thru a conversion..(buy em lunch) .. there is a lot of tricks that are easy but sound like big deals when you read about them...

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

schrader7032

The August article was

Post by schrader7032 »

The August article was written by Dwain Risenhoover. The September article was by none other than Tom Cutter. The smaller article in the November issue was by Kenny Jagger.

The Yahoo forum should still exist - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slash2conversions/.

Other options are:

Sidecars - http://www.sidecar.com
Sidecars - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/
Sidecars - http://www.sidecars.ca/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

A. S. Pels

About conversions

Post by A. S. Pels »

I have built a few of those things. You'll want to use the 1973 long swingarm /5 driveshaft and coupling. No adapters necessary.

gwagoner

Does anyone have the contact

Post by gwagoner »

Does anyone have the contact information for Brock Downey?

I've been googling him with no success.

Thanks!

Twocams

Is he the Brock Downey from

Post by Twocams »

Is he the Brock Downey from Calgary,Alberta, Canada? I see him at BMW museum.
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

sean nguyen

Did you ever get it sorted ?i

Post by sean nguyen »

Did you ever get it sorted ?i have a C&C fixture I built for making swing arms

mrc.engr

C&C fixture for /2 to /6 Conversion Swingarm

Post by mrc.engr »

Hey Sean,

Do you still have that C&C fixture for making /2 to /6 adaptive swingarms?

If so, please contact me at mrc.engr@ verizon.net......or just call me on my cell phone. 301-787-3114.

If I don't pick-up it's because I don't have you in my contacts list.....so PLEASE leave me a message telling me who you are and I will call you right back.

Thank you very much..... Mike Cecchini in Bethesda, Md. 301-787-3114 iPhone.