If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Trans, Gear & Shaft oil

R.D.Green

Driveshaft oil

Post by R.D.Green »

I received the GL-4 CRC-Sta-Lube on Tuesday but didn't have time to change the fluids until today. The trans and final drive didn't look that bad and must have been changed by the previous owner within the last year. But the "swinging-arm" (swing arm) was way low and dirty. I'm glad I checked and changed it. Doesn't look like it had been taken care of for a long, long time. What a pain-in-the-butt putting gear oil in that little hole. I was using just the top of the container as a mini funnel but had to hold it up a bit with my fingers since it apparently sits right on the shaft if you don't. Seemed to take forever. Went for a nice ride and then parked it in the garage for a bit. No leaks so I'm happy. I used all new crush washers though the used ones didn't look too bad. Going to a Bikes & Coffee event tomorrow morning so spent the rest of the day cleaning and polishing. She's a happy steed.

Beemer Boneyard sells a plastic bottle with screw-on top and small squirt hole that is perfect for filling the driveshaft oil. It's some kind of hair coloring applicator so you might find one locally as well. Use it and you won't spill a drop. Literally.