If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Throttle tube&cam '65 R50/2

SeanT

Throttle tube&cam '65 R50/2

Post by SeanT »

Hello Airhead owners,

Eager to get my '65 R50/2 back on the road, but need a new throttle tube and gear w/chain. My local BMW dealer wants to replace the Magura throttle grip,tube and cam with /5 parts. I said to hold while I look for the right parts.

Can anyone confirm that I selected the right parts for /2?

32 72 2072384 Throttle cam with chain
32 72 2072153 Throttle tube

Was also thinking this is the time to switch to Euro Bars? I have the Hella bar end signals, were they ever installed on the Euro Bars?

Thank you,
Sean

iagins

My understanding is the Hella

Post by iagins »

My understanding is the Hella bar-end signals were offered because several European countries required turn signals. So I would imagine they were used on the Euro bars. I put them on mine.

Ira Agins
Santa Fe, NM

schrader7032

I did a parts search with

Post by schrader7032 »

I did a parts search with those numbers on RealOEM and they aren't in their system. Not sure if that means they just don't show them, they're NLA, or those are invalid part numbers.

Not sure if the throttle housing top will be needed...certainly if you were converting to /5 type stuff, there might be more parts needed.

One thing that I really missed on my R69S was the internal "cruise control" that was standard on these bikes. My throttle would snap back and was difficult at times. I was able to find a replacement tube with this spring still intact. I changed the tube and changed grips at the same time. Wow, did that make a difference. Especially starting...I could rotate the throttle about 1/8-1/4 opening and then concentrate on kicking. In the past, I had to reach over with my left hand and work the throttle and kicked. Now starting is so much easier.

If you're R50/2 doesn't have this, it would be best to try and find one.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

malmac

in my parts manual

Post by malmac »

I see in my parts manual.

throttle grip and tube - 32 72 1230400

gear with chain 32 72 1231357 (conversion set complete) and 32 72 1231461 (sleeve conversion part)

So the parts manual is a bit confusing to me.

If you want a scan of this page just email me at mal@malmac.net and I will send it to you.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia