If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

side stand for R 50

rsmith2370

side stand for R 50

Post by rsmith2370 »

Can anyone advise me as to whether or not the Akip side stand (or some other type) will allow my R 50 to be started when the stand is in use. I cannot tell from the pictures on the web sites for Blue Moon of Bench Mark Works.

Also, does anyone have experience with recovering a narrow Denfeld seat.

Thanks.
Robert Smith

iagins

Don't know, but

Post by iagins »

I don't know, but I had asked about the Akip stand for my R50/2 and someone on this forum replied that they thought the stand was just for plunger frame bikes (not sure why that would be, considering it attaches to the foot peg).

In any case, I would think one shouldn't try starting the bike on it, just like the wisdom is not to start it on any of the other side stands.

Just my $0.02.

Ira Agins
Santa Fe, NM

Peter

The Akip aftermarket stand is

Post by Peter »

The Akip aftermarket stand is below par, it rusts very quickly and NO don't kick start while on this stand. It will fit your R50/2 and is just ok as long as you keep the lubricant up to it.
R42, R12, R51/3, R69S

comet

They were never any good.

Post by comet »

They were never any good.

schrader7032

I would be reluctant to start

Post by schrader7032 »

I would be reluctant to start a bike while on the sidestand, given the forces that would be involved. But I believe people seem to like a version of the Brown or is the Farley stand that can be used on the /2s. They might provide resonable support. Still it seems too much in my mind.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

rdnNHandAZ

Cover the seat

Post by rdnNHandAZ »

Try Richard Croston in NH (he will ship) (RECroston@comcast.net) I met him at Vech's last spring and he does nice work. He has a Corbin from my R1100R right now and also knows the vintage seats well.
Ralph
59 R60, 1976 CT90, 1983 R80RT(sold), 1998 R1100R 75th Anniversary Edition, 2002 F650GS new to me.
Lakes Region, NH & Sonoran Desert AZ "Have Leatherman Will Travel"

If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

Ian R11

Akip stand

Post by Ian R11 »

I had an original Akip stand fitted on the R68 before I started restoration. It was very flimsy and I would not be confident leaving a bike just resting on it, a shame because I like the look of them. At best it would hold the bike but certainly not strong enough to allow kick starting.
The /2 bike has a much better one, photo attached. If it’s not an original fitting I don’t know the manufacture. Maybe another member could say what make it is.
Attachments
img_1059.jpg
img_1059.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
img_1058.jpg
img_1058.jpg (31.67 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
akip.jpg
akip.jpg (81.12 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Mike Goldthorpe

Stand in post above looks like

Post by Mike Goldthorpe »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seitenstnder-fr ... 1131221514
I'd still be wary of using the stand while kicking the bike to life. I life the bike off the stand to start it, then rest it back on the stand while it idles and I put helmet and gloves on
One of the few R50 owners in New Zealand

capebretonmarkbmw

I like that ...

Post by capebretonmarkbmw »

Yes I like starting the bike free from the center stand .....it is nice to be confident with the balance and as well knowing it will start up the way it should.

ScottA

+1

Post by ScottA »

I have the R60/2 on its suspension when kick-starting.
Used to have it on the centerstand for that, but after reading reports... thought I'd adopt this method.
Some of those reports included bending of the singles' frame from excess effort.

This pic is my wallpaper at work, someone's nice R27.

At the kick-stop cushion, the light reflecting off the frame seems to show a slight downward bend. Also, at the center-stand pivot the frame may be subtly bent upward.

Or maybe not, but these bends are known in more-abused examples
Of course the singles' frame is less robust than the twins' but I like to think the bike would benefit from some consideration in the applied effort.

'61 R27, '63 R60/2 etc.