If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

BMW painting undercoat and primer how it was done at the factory.

Topfmine

BMW painting undercoat and primer how it was done at the factory.

Post by Topfmine »

I am new to the forum and have been restoring various Armored vehicles in the past and will be doing a BMW R12 soon for a friend. I was told that WW2 German vehicles were red oxide as a primer under coat at the factory and then painted what ever the color afterwards either black tan or grey etc for the finish coat. The professionals still use red oxide on restored WW2 German vehicles so when the vehicle gets scratched marked or chipped its shows an authentic scratch if you see what i mean rather than show modern grey primer system. Were per-war and wartime BMW bikes factory painted using stove enameling or were they painted using an primer undercoat and top finish similar to today's methods, if so on the latter, what type of primer undercoat did they use back then was it red oxide or grey undercoat.

mackenzie7548

BMW Archives

Post by mackenzie7548 »

I am not sure what primer was used. The attached photo shows various parts from a 1938 R 23 being dipped in an enamel. The other photo shows R 24 parts from 1949 being place in an oven to cure the paint.

Regards
Thomas
Attachments
r_24_1949_painting_the_frame_elements.jpg
r_24_1949_painting_the_frame_elements.jpg (46.22 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
r_23_1938_painting_the_wheel_rims_and_fuel_tanks.jpg
r_23_1938_painting_the_wheel_rims_and_fuel_tanks.jpg (79.22 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

spider rust

WW2 Primer

Post by spider rust »

Red oxide was used. I have a NOS military air cleaner for an R12, with red oxide primer.

Topfmine

Thanks for your help.

Post by Topfmine »

Thanks for your help.