If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Transmission output shaft

dBDawg

Transmission output shaft

Post by dBDawg »

Can anyone in the states point me to someone who can recondition this part? I can't find anyone in my area that will touch it because it's a small job. Otherwise, if I have to get one made, tell me what material I should have this made out of and to what hardness. Thanks
Attachments
bmw_r11_-_trans_-_02.jpg
bmw_r11_-_trans_-_02.jpg (324.18 KiB) Viewed 2778 times
1934 R11

jrapose

What is wong with that one

Post by jrapose »

I don't know much about transmissions...what is the problem ? I once had a yoke spin on the shaft..i had to replace the yoke and we cleaned the shaft... it worked just fine. I have several old transmissions that might have a useable shaft if you need one.. I think having one made up would be really expensive...

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

VintageSalesandRestorations

output shaft

Post by VintageSalesandRestorations »

Hi,

What model is it for?

Jeff

Darryl.Richman

It looks to me like it's for

Post by Darryl.Richman »

It looks to me like it's for a 3 speed model, so R11/R16 or earlier.
--Darryl Richman

dBDawg

R11/R16 3 speed

Post by dBDawg »

Yeah, Darryl is correct. It's to a three speed transmission. It's hard to tell what's going on with it but in the area of the rear bearing by the taper, it looks to be welded or plated at some time. The diameter varies between 24.77mm and 25+. I'm not sure what to do with it honestly. I've talked to 10 different guys who all have a different opinions. The latest idea I received was to flame spray it and grind down to size in order not ruin the shaft hardness. But the same guy who suggested that said it might already be compromised if indeed it was welded at some point.

Making it would indeed be expensive and I would like to avoid it if possible. The rest of the shaft is in good enough condition. It's the bearing that won't sit right.
1934 R11

Ian R11

Shaft repair

Post by Ian R11 »

It looks to me as if the bearing has been spinning and worn through the surface hardening on the shaft.
I had a repair done by cylindrical grinding the shaft down to allow a hardened sleeve to be fitted and then finished by grinding back to correct size. I didn't see the job get done but the sleeve is only around 1.5 to 2mm thick and told it was bonded to the shaft with a loctite type product.

Darryl.Richman

A common way of repair crank

Post by Darryl.Richman »

A common way of repair crank bearing journals and pins is to grind down the area to a uniform shape, plate it with industrial hard chrome, and then grind to size. As this area supports a bearing and a bushing with a gear on it, I would think that would be a viable solution - but I have never done such a thing, so this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.
--Darryl Richman

pokie

Worn Shaft

Post by pokie »

Dbdog, you don't state where you are (States or Europe,.....). If you are here in the states, you could try contacting Dan at Cycle Works. He has a place/ fellow he uses for precision chrome grinding. Maybe he can save the original shaft for you. I would think it would at least be worth a try.

dBDawg

So hard chroming, flame

Post by dBDawg »

So hard chroming, flame spray, sleeving is all coming in at quotes of $900 to $1000. This includes repair of the end thread as well which is all bashed up and bent. I got a quote to make a new one at $1500 or 4 for a $2000. Anyone need one of these things? ha ha, think I might go buy a lottery ticket tonight or bury the damn thing in the back yard.
1934 R11

pokie

Burying it?

Post by pokie »

I guess you could bury it in the back yard, that's where the transmission of one of my bikes was unearthed. The previous owner of said transmission got irritated because he couldn't get it apart and broke the flange on the rear cover trying. My guess is he tossed the silly thing out into the back garden. It was unearthed by the new home owner. I can't say how long it was buried out there but the cover was part way off and it was full of mud. I pulled it apart, gave it an overhaul and repaired the cover, it's now in a bike I use regularly. Maybe some day someone will find your shaft in your back garden and be just the thing he was looking for.

Give Dan a call, I bet he can do it for less than other places have quoted you.