If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Clutch replacement difficulty level

The place to discuss the R 90 S as well as the R90S Worldnet archives!
JakeF

Clutch replacement difficulty level

Post by JakeF »

I finally got my non-op R90S running and road worthy. Took it out for its first real ride yesterday and I think the clutch may need work. When accelerating I can feel it slipping before it grabs fully. I am a lowly novice to bike mechanics and am learning as I go. On a scale of 1-10 with one being not knowing a Phillips from a regular screwdriver, to a 10 being a BMW certified mechanic, where does working on a clutch rate?
JakeF
1956 R69, 1976 R90S, 2008 R1200GS

schrader7032

I'd say the difficulty is

Post by schrader7032 »

I'd say the difficulty is 6-7. It's a bit of a puzzle as you have to remove a whole bunch of stuff to get to removing the transmission. On the one hand, it's a lot of big pieces that have to come out. On the other hand, you'll need a few special tools like a socket remove the swingarm pins...you'll need a ft-lb and an in-lb torque wrench. You also need a set of nuts/bolts to let the pressure down on the clutch plate, but that can be bought at any hardware store. Centering the clutch pack on the flywheel can be tricky...they sell a clutch alignment tool for that, but I've managed to do it by eye.

It can be done but you should take your time.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

khittner

It depends on whether you

Post by khittner »

It depends on whether you prefer to futz around, or have your bike work well soon. If I still owned a nice 90S that needed a clutch, and lived within a comfortable day's drive of Ted Porter's shop like you do, I'd take my bike there, pay the master, begin a warm customer relationship, listen, and learn.
Konrad

Twocams

Jake, I think its about time

Post by Twocams »

Jake, I think its about time you got your hands greasy. With 2 vintage bikes and one on the way you need to get a book or 2, some wrenches. Do some reading, use the net and ask questions. The net wasnt always around so I have 100+ books for working on cars and bikes. And still buy them when ever I need.The older bikes arent to bad. Its the newer ones with ABS, traction control,cruise control....... You can always take it some place for a engine rebuild or transmission work.

twocams
Attachments
manuals_shop_002.jpg
manuals_shop_002.jpg (363.51 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

brownbmw

Jake, I see you are in So

Post by brownbmw »

Jake, I see you are in So Cal. If you are near Pomona we can help. At Brown Motor Works we do lots of airhead work. We offer everything from parts, to free advice and "how to" assistance, to doing the job for you.

We've been doing this for over 50 years, so not just the latest shop to jump in on the airhead craze. We do service, repair, recondition and restoration. We don't do any bobber, chopper, etc.

We also offer a multi-point inspection (basically a report card on the bike's condition and needs) which is normally $75 but is free to anyone who mentions the VBMWO club or website.

JakeF

Thanks

Post by JakeF »

Pomona is not too far. I think I will take you up on the offer. I have bought a number of parts from Seavers which is closer to me but they are not as interested in working on the older bikes unless it is a major job. I have a solo trailer and may tow it to your place in case I want to leave it.
JakeF

JakeF

Thanks Twocams

Post by JakeF »

Thanks for the advice. I have been working my up on the maintenance and repairs on all three of my bikes but I think a clutch overall is something I don't want to tackle just yet. On the R90S I replaced all the cables, overhauled the entire brake system, replaced the carbs, tuned it, and rebuilt the tattered seat. I think I will leave the clutch to a more qualified mechanic. I loved the way it rode this past weekend and I can tell I plan on riding it hard. This is not going to be a show bike. I want it mechanically in top shape and plan on leaving it a bit sweaty looking.
JakeF

JakeF

Ted Porters

Post by JakeF »

Ted Porters is too far.
JakeF

khittner

It's good to have an array of

Post by khittner »

It's good to have an array of available options, and you have several.
Konrad