If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New carb kit and still leaky carbs....any suggestions?

Raresed84

i agree with all that jlibby

Post by Raresed84 »

i agree with all that jlibby says...he is right:)

Discogodfather

I have a similar problem on

Post by Discogodfather »

I have a similar problem on my R60/2 1969. In addition to the "Bing drip" I was getting heavy flooding in the carbs, black soot on the plugs. It was especially bad when using the ticklers. I took the carbs down and cleaned everything, the bike had been sitting for years. The floats performed fine but still leaked out of the float chamber. The correct spacer washer was there and in place.

After confirming everything I could in terms of balancing and correct throttle adjustment, I was seriously considering just buying new ones (to the tune of $500 a piece.) Then I checked the valve clearance. In addition to the actual .006" and .008" intake / exhaust clearance, I noticed the up and down motion of the rocker arms was way out. I followed some of the techniques on Duane A's site and also in the Barrington manual. The rocker arms should not float up and down much at all, none really, just enough to get the thinnest film of oil in there.

Outcome: this was the cause of the carb problems: the rockers where loose and the valve clearance was drifting. In my case it meant the valve clearance was tight and was not allowing the valve to fully close. I was getting a bit of air fuel mixture back into the carb (carbs also sneezed and the engine stumbled sometimes off idle). I can't fully explain why this caused the carbs to malfunction and run flooded and rich, but it did.

As soon as the valves closed properly the dripping Bings stopped and it generally runs well now. Check that critical up and down tolerance on the rocker arms.

Oh, and before I forget, I am 6ft2in and 280lbs. Bike did maybe 55pmh before the rocker adjustment and now does 65 easy. I can notice a little more compression on the kickstarter, it is a little harder to kick over than it was.
1969 r60/2, 1972 r75/5, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Ducati 750 GT, 1966 Honda 450 Black Bomber, 1965 Honda Superhawk, 1971 Honda CB 750

San Francisco, CA