If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Tourque Wrench

Timcmiles

Tourque Wrench

Post by Timcmiles »

I just acquired a /2 and I am in the process of acquiring tools and I wanted to get your recommendation with regards to tourque wrench(s). Admittedly, I am a newb when it comes to “wrenching” but I am very excited to have the opportunity to develop my knowledge and skills. I understand that one tourque wrench can not cover all aspects but I was wondering, as a starting place, what should be the first wrench I should get? 3/8, 1/2, Inch, Foot, metric? Brand recommendations? Is there one that covers the tourque requirements for those things that someone of my limited experience would need? Thanks, in advance! I am very excited about this journey that I am embarking upon. It has been a long time coming!

Twocams

I use a 1/2" clicker type

Post by Twocams »

I use a 1/2" clicker type torque wrench. With a 3/8 adapter when needed. 1/2" I can also torque wheel lug nuts and such. I use something like Sears. I also have a smaller 3/8" beam wrench (needle type) that has in.lbs/mm. i need 2 wrenches cause the 1/2 wont go low enough and the 3/8 wont go high enough. Need one for big stuff /one for small stuff.

twocams

Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

khittner

Yes, you'll ultimately want

Post by khittner »

Yes, you'll ultimately want two: One that measures in ft-lbs., and a second that measures in inch-lbs. At least in the case of my two Craftsman clickers-type torque wrenches, my ft-lbs torque wrench is 1/2" drive; my inch-lbs. wrench is a 3/8" drive. But a dirty, little secret: I've never had either one of them independently calibrated.
Konrad

Timcmiles

Thanks, guys! What would be

Post by Timcmiles »

Thanks, guys! What would be the span that I should have for in/lbs and ft/lbs? I am not sure about in/lbs but would 10-80 ft/lbs cover the majority of what I would need or should it be like 80-200, or something like that? At this point, I will not be delving into the engine until I develop some skills. I just need something that would cover things like spark plugs, valves, axle, oil pan drain plug, - that sort of thing. It is my understanding that the closer one is to either end of the span, the less accurate the wrench becomes, correct? So, if this is true, I would want to get a wrench where the majority of my tourqing needs would be found in the middle of that span. Would you say that I would use the 3/8 or 1/2 more? Thanks, again for the help and dealing with the Uber basic questions! It is most appreciated!

schrader7032

Yes, torque wrenches are less

Post by schrader7032 »

Yes, torque wrenches are less accurate near the extremes of the range. I realize you're new to the /2...maybe new to things mechanical. But the only task that I do with any regularity that I use my torque wrench on (a beam type) is the head bolts. This is across the three BMWs I own. Every thing else is by feel. However, I've developed this feel over the years of car and motorcycle ownership. Regular maintenance items really only need to be snug. Things like the oil pan bolts are tightened using a nut driver...difficult to over torque. Driveshaft bolts...tool kit wrench with a rag in my hand is torqued to a good grunt. But things like flywheel bolts, final drive coupler bolt, etc., are tasks that I probably won't do and/or will have a professional do.

If it were me, I'd get a torque wrench that can safely do the bolts for the heads...that's 25 ft-lbs. That will cover other areas should you choose to use a torque wrench. Add a bigger range wrench when/if you get deeper into the bike.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Timcmiles

Schrader7032 - Thanks for the

Post by Timcmiles »

Schrader7032 - Thanks for the info! Indeed! I am new to both /2 and mechanics. Frankly, I am tired of always relying upon and paying someone to do things that I could do provided I go slow and ask questions. My desire is to get to a level of competency to take care of the common things that may happen while on the road, maintain my /2, and to recognize issues that require someone with far more experience than I. I am truly enjoying this journey! Thanks, again!