If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Mounting 83 R100RT fairing on 76 R90/6 how big a job is it?

Ironhorse R90

Mounting 83 R100RT fairing on 76 R90/6 how big a job is it?

Post by Ironhorse R90 »

I want to mount an RT fairing on a R90/6. Anyone done this project? I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble.
Iron horse R90

schrader7032

I think there might be some

Post by schrader7032 »

I think there might be some issues to deal with. For one, there's a fairing bracket, aka "spider", that mounts to the headstock...not sure if the /7-on bikes had the holes/locations already built in. I forget when the frame changed...I know my /7 has an additional stiffener bar between the front downtubes. Another will be wiring...you'll need to deal with the headlight and getting the wiring up to the fairing.

Do you have the fairing already? I suspect it would be far easier to install something like a Luftmeister. It offers great protection, only lacking the bits around the bottom. I like the idea of air continuing to flow around the engine...it does that better without the lower parts of an RT fairing.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

khittner

It's non-trivial surgery

Post by khittner »

The /6 frame head tubes lack the holes/fittings for the fairing's main bracket; they have to be drilled (or maybe it's having threaded bosses welded on). The fairing bracket fittings were standard on all of the /7 frames, so it'd be easier to start with a '77 or later bike. And then you will need a longer wiring harness to get out to the re-located headlight bucket. The most economical approach would probably be to just buy an intact RT---they're available a lot cheaper than an RS or S model, even if they are, fairing aside, the same motorcycle.
Konrad

Ironhorse R90

Thank you!

Post by Ironhorse R90 »

Thanks guys!
I have a Luftmeister on the bike now. During an excursion for an Airheads camp out, down a really bad dirt road, the original windscreen split almost through. I taped it with clear gorilla tape and it is still there. Had a chance to buy a RT fairing and like its shape but I won't make mods to my /6 so thank you for your info. I'll buy a new screen from Gustafson for the Luftmeister.
Wishing you safe rides,
Jim
Iron horse R90