If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Question about riding boots.

wrobertson

Question about riding boots.

Post by wrobertson »

Hello all. Hopefully this isn't too silly of a question, but I figured this might be the right place to ask. I am new to riding, and BMW's at that. Does anyone have a good suggestion for riding boots? I have a /2 and /6, and am having a hard time finding a riding boot that will fit under the cylinder head comfortably. My gym shoe fits, but I'm looking for some ankle protection. Any advise is greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Ben Robertson

Darryl.Richman

There are several touring

Post by Darryl.Richman »

There are several touring boots that are available, including the BMW All Around boots. These boots generally have a Gore-Tex (or similar) waterproof-breathable liner, leather outer, oil-resistant sole with a shank in it, and reinforced shins, toes, ankles and heels. They are mid-calf high, have a zipper closure with a flap over it to hold it and a gusset under it to prevent water intrusion. I currently have the BMW boots, but I've also had similar models from Alpinestars and TCX. They are in the $150-200 range, and I get 4-5 years of use from them (generally around 100,000 miles of riding). I find them light enough and flexible enough to wear while walking.
--Darryl Richman

wrobertson

Thank you Darryl! I'll look

Post by wrobertson »

Thank you Darryl! I'll look into the BMW All Around boots.
Ben Robertson

schrader7032

If and when I look for some

Post by schrader7032 »

If and when I look for some boots, I think I'm going to look at the Sidi line. I recall Tom Cutter saying something like he could stand in a stream of water all day long and his feet would still be dry.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wolds

I've got a pair of Sidi's.

Post by wolds »

I've got a pair of Sidi's. Fit me well and not too expensive.
2007 BMW R1200RT
1979 Yamaha XS650 "cafe"
1976 BMW R90S
1976 BMW R60/6

khittner

This may be viewed as heresy,

Post by khittner »

This may be viewed as heresy, but I'm cheap---I've never bothered with purpose-made motorcycle boots. I have two pairs of Redwing leather work boots, 9" high; one pair is Gore-tex lined, the other is not, and they're both 10-15 years old and doing fine. I can wear them for other tasks and in venues where I don't want to look like I arrived via a spacecraft, and on an airhead, my feet have always been warm and dry enough, but not too hot for comfort. I've had serious get-offs with their predecessors without foot injuries of any kind, so I'm not impressed by the "need" for armor---abrasion resistance is good, but I've tended to part company from the bike in those instances, not whack into its sundry protuberances. I do insist on speed-lacing for the top several inches, to speed putting them on. Keep the lace length reasonable, and I've never had them get caught or hung-up on the bike's hardware. $120/pr. at my nearby Redwing store.
Konrad

moose

Too poor to pay twice

Post by moose »

+1 on Redwing Boots.
However you can see some savings by buying boots for both riding and everyday wear, at $120.00 per pair Redwings are not cheap.
After years of construction Redwings were the only brand that could;
Last and wear like iron
Provide all day comfort without breaking in
Insure support and safety

Although Redwing is marketing a line of cheap knockoffs made in China that are not worth the lesser price.
The originals, especially Irish Setters, made in Redwing Minnesota will not fail.
Unlike many riding specific boots Redwings have a flexible enough footbed to actually walk around exploring when you Get to where you have ridden.

With respect,

moose
there is room for all of god's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes

Gritzmore

I like where your heads at.

Post by Gritzmore »

I like where your heads at. Been looking for a new pair and may try this.

slothy

redwings - china style

Post by slothy »

+1 on Redwing Boots.
However you can see some savings by buying boots for both riding and everyday wear, at $120.00 per pair Redwings are not cheap.
After years of construction Redwings were the only brand that could;
Last and wear like iron
Provide all day comfort without breaking in
Insure support and safety

Although Redwing is marketing a line of cheap knockoffs made in China that are not worth the lesser price.
The originals, especially Irish Setters, made in Redwing Minnesota will not fail.
Unlike many riding specific boots Redwings have a flexible enough footbed to actually walk around exploring when you Get to where you have ridden.

With respect,

moose

i have a pair of their (redwings) waterproof black 8" work boots made in china i use for riding only, they are comfy, def help keep my feet dry. i think i paid 200 or so about 5 years ago. only issue i have had is the laces, which they give me new ones and even lace em up for me.

Darryl.Richman

This reminds me of why I buy

Post by Darryl.Richman »

This reminds me of why I buy moto specific boots. In my early years, I bought good hiking boots for riding. Until the day I almost tipped over at a signal, when I found that the laces had tangled in the bike and I couldn't put my foot down.

Whatever you do, do not buy "cowboy" or "engineer" style boots that have no positive retention on your foot. They may come off in an accident, when you need the protection the most.

Personal story: in 2012 I participated in the Motorcycle Cannonball, but crashed my 1928 BMW R52 on California SR-1, in a steep section of the Redwoods. The bike and I went off the road and down a very steep and soft hillside. I broke the three middle metatarsal bones in the middle of my left foot, but was able to climb back up 20 feet or so, to the roadway again, putting my not insubstantial full weight on my broken foot, with the support of my BMW boots. My foot required emergency surgery that night, but after 2 months it healed and after 6 months with regular physiotherapy, it was completely normal again. I am still using the same pair of boots today.
--Darryl Richman