If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Vapor Blasting in the Midwest?

pat73750

Vapor Blasting in the Midwest?

Post by pat73750 »

Hello

Making good progress on bringing a 73 R75/5 back to life.

I'm familiar with bead and soda blasting, but was wondering if anyone new of a good source, shop for doing "Vapor blasting" on a number of the parts?

Anything close to the Chicago land area, within a 100 miles or so? I was trying to avoid any shipping process.

If not, any good sources, shops you'd trust with doing Bead Blasting, again within a 100 miles or so of Chicago land area?

Thanks all. Sites been a great source of information, inspiration!
73' R75/5, 91' R100 GS

schrader7032

Type in "vapor" in the upper

Post by schrader7032 »

Type in "vapor" in the upper left search box. Vapor blasting has been discussed on this list.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

pat73750

Hey Kurt. Yeah saw some of

Post by pat73750 »

Hey Kurt.

Yeah saw some of the threads. Gave me some alternatives to think about. No local midwest recommendations though
73' R75/5, 91' R100 GS

Dan Vitaletti

Vapor Blasting

Post by Dan Vitaletti »

Hi
Not aware of any Vapor Blast services in your area but;
I offer Vapor Blasting Service for motorcycle restoration.
Former BMW Mechanic, Located in Santa Fe, NM, I specialize in vintage BMW restoration.

Several advantages this amazing process has over glass bead blasting include:
- Does not leave behind abrasive particles which can damage your motor
- Threaded holes do not retain abrasive particles, that are impossible to remove
- Leaves a super clean, smooth finish, which does not stain easily or absorb dirt/grease
- Does not remove metal or erode surfaces, safe for pistons, bores and bearing fits

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks
Dan Vitaletti
Vapor Blast Solutions, LLC
(505) 946-7097

[url=vaporblastsolutions.com]

khittner

These guys aren't real close

Post by khittner »

These guys aren't real close to Chicago, but they're certainly in the mid-west. I haven't used their service, but I think their scooter restorations have been well thought of in the Vespa sub-culture.

http://www.greentreescooters.com/Vapor-Blasting.html
Konrad

p7375

Thanks Konrad!

Post by p7375 »

Thanks Konrad!

p7375

Hey Dan It was your site and

Post by p7375 »

Hey Dan

It was your site and a few other sites, and articles, that had me doing some research on the process. I've had the beading done, and heard soda was a good option (because of the finish), but never vapor work.

It's the finish I'm a bit concerned with. Would like it to maintain the original look. Not get to shinny, glossy, etc. That issue or concern is even mentioned in some threads on this site.

As I get closer I'll definitely be reaching out to you for some questions.

Thanks again Dan

Pat

Dan Vitaletti

Free Vapor Blast Sample

Post by Dan Vitaletti »

Pat

I agree that getting the correct original finish is important and there are several processes that can provide the finish you are looking for.

I am offering to you (or any VBMWMO members) the opportunity to have a sample part Vapor Blasted for free.
This will allow you to see first hand the finish you will get and allow you to decide which is the best process for your project.

Sometimes the photos of Vapor Blasted parts appear to be a lot more shinny and glossy than they really are, due to the photo flash.

If interested, contact me at:
vaporblastsolutions@gmail.com
or (505) 946-7097

Thanks
Dan

iagins

Dan and Co. were at the

Post by iagins »

Dan and Co. were at the classic motorcycle show here last weekend and I got a good look at his work.

The finish is very flat, not shiny at all.

It also gets them clean as a whistle. There were samples where half the part was vapor-blasted and the other half left original. The difference was night and day. Dan had carbs, gears, cases, and other parts in steel and aluminum. One of the more impressive samples was one made of very thin metal. It was completely cleaned without destroying (or even marking) the material.

I live in Dan's area, but I don't work for him. :-) Just a fan of his work and the vapor-blasting process.

Just my $0.02.

Ira Agins
Santa Fe, NM

p7375

Dan Very generous of you.

Post by p7375 »

Dan

Very generous of you. Appreciate it.

I'm still in the process of tearing things down, but will follow-up with you some time soon. Timing depends on my other father and husband responsibilities.

Thanks again!

Pat