|Bore x Stroke (mm)||72 x 84|
|HP @ RPM||14 @ 4500|
|Valves||OHV, 2 per cylinder|
|Clutch||Dry, single plate, cable operated|
|Transmission||4 speed, hand shifted|
|Frame||Pressed steel, rivetted|
|Front Suspension||Undamped telescopic fork|
|Front Brakes||180mm drum, single leading shoe|
|Rear Brakes||180mm drum, single leading shoe|
|Spark Plugs||Bosch W175T1|
|Generator||Bosch RD 47/70 6V 45W|
|Capacities & Measurements|
Note: The R35 production was moved from Munich to Eisenach during WWII. Eisenach ended up in the Soviet zone afterwards, and the plant began manufacturing R35s again. At first this was from existing stocks of spares and using the original tooling, but changes eventually were integrated and the production continued through two major updates before completing in 1956. The East Germans continued to badge the bikes with the BMW logo and use the BMW name until BMW sued and won. The R35s were then renamed as EMWs — Eisenacher Motoren Werke, and came with very similar badges in white and red. The early postwar bikes are essentially identical to the prewar machines, except that their serial number begins with a 2 instead of a 3. For this reason, collectors must beware forgeries, which are very common.
The information provided here was obtained from a variety
of public sources and may not reflect official BMW archival data.
Please contact the BMW Archives for official data regarding models.