Old dirty r69 - from basket to bike.

CWRoady

Re: Old dirty r69 - from basket to bike.

Post by CWRoady »

Appreciate this thread and what you are doing with your bike. I am currently refurbishing my '55. The frame has a dent in the downtube below the steering head where the Earls front end mated with it (along with one on the left back from a Brown side stand I have been told). The front axel didn't slide in as smoothly as I felt it should either. I anticipate getting the frame and forks back from the frame shop soon, so yesterday I was boxing up the additional parts I plan to take for powder coating. Your latest posts motivated me to disassemble the horn and take it in as well. Thanks for the motivation and sharing your journey.
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

frostman48

Re: Old dirty r69 - from basket to bike.

Post by frostman48 »

If you don’t have it already, I recommend that you get a copy of The Barrington Motor Works ‘BMW /2 Motorcycle Restoration and Service Manual’. It is well worth it.
Jack Frost

wa1nca

Re: Horn Adjustment.

Post by wa1nca »

wa1nca wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14 pm
Picture are good now
I have 2 of the same horn
Dont adj the screw in the back
The adjustment is the screw on front and locks in place when the nut is tightened
The Bosch HO/FDF is a great horn, very loud
Tommy
[/quote

Did you get your horn working
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3 55 R50 64 R27 68 R69US

goaarongo

Adjustment overkill?

Post by goaarongo »

Tommy - horn is beeping now - thanks. I just had to crank that front screw down further than expected.
Frostman - I've heard a lot about that book - man it's pricey though. I've accumulated a lot of literature and pretty much have everything I need at this point - but I do hope to check that book out one day. Seems to be the gold standard.
CW - Thanks for the kind words. Glad you got you horn sorted as well.

I'm kinda hanging out waiting on my top end work to come back now. I was looking at the spark advance and thought it would be nice to have an adjuster there, since I don't plan to hook up the cable. I made up this little guy - which may have been a bit overkill. I really only needed one nut on it for example, since the holder is already threaded. Originally I was just going to put another acorn on the bottom - but there wasn't really room for it. Ended up going with a cotter pin. I'll use it once probably to fine adjust and then lock it all in place.

Hope the machine work comes in soon - I'm getting antsy.