If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Lined clutch cable housing for /2?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Ray -

As I was going over my new-to-me R69S, I decided to buy a new clutch cable. Bought one from Blue Moon...that was a mistake. I decided to buy one from BMW...much better. Don't know if it's specifically for the /2 or if it was from the /5. The /2 and /5 part numbers are different.

I'm sure someone like Vech in MS could supply a suitable cable. You could even give him a call and discuss the ins-n-outs of what you would like to do.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Allan.Atherton

Re: Lined clutch cable housing for /2?

Post by Allan.Atherton »

My 1964 R60/2 has a clutch cable that feels like the original one from 1964. Very creaky and scratchy with bent exposed windings near the lever. ... I would like to hear about options such as replacing with /5 or later nylon lined clutch housing and cables.... or could I accomplish the same thing with just new /2 cable and unlined housing? Or can I get modern lined housing to fit /2 from somewhere?...

The BMW Mobile Tradition clutch, brake and throttle cables made for and sold by Huggett, and sold by Bench Mark Works, have stainless steel nipples and wire in a teflon-lined sheath. They are available for all BMW models, from singles to /2 to /5 etc, and work extremely smoothly.

Just go here http://members.aol.com/vechbmw2/partno.html and search on the word cable.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

My 1964 R60/2 has a clutch cable that feels like the original one from 1964. Very creaky and scratchy with bent exposed windings near the lever. I assume the time is right for a new cable and housing. At this point I would like to hear about options such as replacing with /5 or later nylon lined clutch housing and cables. What modifications would I have to make to make these fit? Would it be worth the effort or could I accomplish the same thing with just new /2 cable and unlined housing? Or can I get modern lined housing to fit /2 from somewhere? Thanks,

Ray Brutti
Flagstaff, AZ
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.