If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R42 elektrics

olebmw

R42 elektrics

Post by olebmw »

I can't help with the battery holder as mine is missing also,along with the regulator. I do have an original key. If you want to PM me with a surface mail address I can send you a drawing. Could you send me the deminsions of the regulator box? Dan

bmwmyplace

R42 elektrics

Post by bmwmyplace »

Hi Dan if you look in the Motor cycle Buyers guide by Stefan Knittel on page 18 and 19 look under the seat you will see the voltage regulator box mounted there this looks the same as mine with the brass conduit coming out of the end, im not sure if this one was fitted with a key or not....My box is mounted verticaly on the rear down tube next to the battery. My battery strap is also different in that it goes over the battery in the other direction ...that is from front to rear and has an over centre clip for quick release

Does anyone know what ever happended to this bike I wonder .....would be very nice to get some close up pics of this set up , and to find out wheather there was a junction box anywhere to terminate all the flexable coduits because there is two from my headlamp each containing one wire and a larger one for the horn carring two wires... then a conduit from the regulator to the generator which is clearly visable .....

regards PeterG

Darryl.Richman

R42 elektrics

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I went poking through BMW's historical archives and found a couple pictures that might be of use. Unfortunately, I don't really know what I'm looking at, but maybe you do! ;-)

BTW, I kept looking at the top photo, thinking, boy, something is weird about that... And then, while previewing this message with the bottom picture to A/B against, I could see that the head is very different (not to mention the front fender, which looks like it came off an R32). Is that from a Zuendapp K500? I'm amazed that anything else would fit such a strange shape...
--Darryl Richman

Barry Robin

R42 elektrics

Post by Barry Robin »

good a/b'ing there, darryl. i also noted that the floorboards on the top picture are the later post 1931 version that includes the heel tubecoming out of the rear mounting bolt...making me think that the picture was taken about five years after it was made, sitting in some owners backyard...

maybe.

-b

Darryl.Richman

R42 elektrics

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Hmmm, and I thought my R12 was a bucket of parts... ;-)
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

R42 elektrics

Post by schrader7032 »

Interesting following this... Isn't the bottom really a drawing? How much would that come into play trying to compare the two?

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Barry Robin

R42 elektrics

Post by Barry Robin »

sorry kurt, that actually is a photograph! what you're seeing is a serious amount of retouching; bmw tended to do this with all their official production pictures.
just think of it as the 20's version of photoshop!

and dan-there's an original almost untouched R42 in the bmw dealer in san francisco one can use for reference; i know that you're not anywhere near there, but the manager of the motorcycle dept. is usually quite happy to take pictures of details if you write to him. because there's no battery in the bike, you'd get a clear view of the bracket.

-b

Barry Robin

R42 elektrics

Post by Barry Robin »

and you too, peter g! sorry about the omission!
-b

Darryl.Richman

R42 elektrics

Post by Darryl.Richman »

sorry kurt, that actually is a photograph! what you're seeing is a serious amount of retouching; bmw tended to do this with all their official production pictures.
just think of it as the 20's version of photoshop!

Yes, they did, and it's quite frustrating. Didn't they realize that in 60-80 years people would be spending hours looking at these photos trying to determine where the wires and cables went, and what all of the little bits looked like?

If you hunt through the historical archives site, you'll see lots of photos like this:

[img]http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/mcpics/vin ... 2_m[1].jpg[/img]

and this:

[img]http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/mcpics/200 ... 0_M[1].jpg[/img]

In both of these cases, the photos were taken with the idea of eliminating the background for use in advertising and also in manuals. I think the top view of the R12 above was intended for the manual, to show where all the controls were.
--Darryl Richman

bmwmyplace

R42 elektrics

Post by bmwmyplace »

Darryl.... some great pictures....How do you get to them???

the top pic does seem to have an early fender, probably used up the old stock? notice the flat mounting brackets instead of the round ones from R32 so it seems to be a mix of both....

.Also note the three lugs on the rear carrier what for Tool box perhaps? Early saddlebags :D The foot rest tube could be an attempt by the owner to create a stop for the kick starter as I notice most of the pics that I have , the stop lug is brocken from the foot boards. Now a little more research reveals that the battery in the top photo (which I thought was the one I want) is held in place with three bolts , (according to the parts book) it has no strap over the top. So my Battery carrier is different to any I have yet seen, and yet it appears to be unmolested. Better word than "original"
:wink: : And what about the seat on that R12 is that poss a Pagusa???? and indeed it appears to be the very pic that is in my Genuine R17 hand book depicting the controls etc. Page 10 even shows the same seat I often looked at that seat and wondered, now I look a Darryls pic and imagen I can see a Logo where Pagusa would be ...or am I imagening it .... :roll: Darryl we need mor pics mate.