If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Getting an r60/6 running after sitting for over 20 years

vfiori

Re: Getting an r60/6 running after sitting for over 20 years

Post by vfiori »

Should the carbs be sitting flush? They don’t seem to want to go on any further.

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

Forgot to attach the photo
Attachments
61D1C7DB-0E32-4389-9B3D-3973A5043CCB.jpeg

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

I assume the clamp is fully loosened? I might put a very light coating of lube on the flange.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

srankin

Post by srankin »

I believe they only go on so far. Sorry, I am not familiar with this bike. Take a look inside the carb side of things and see if there is a ridge that will stop further sliding of the carb on the intake inlet tube. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Vfiori:

I have the same carbs on my R60/7. They do go up flush. I would think that yours should too.

Craig
IMG_4383.JPG

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

I got them on all the way. I got it kinda running now. Issue is the left carb doesn’t seem to be running properly. Messing with the carb needle settings doesn’t change rpm or anything. If I push down the float button it starts idling up and then leaks fuel out of the carb. That side is getting spark and bowl does refill with fuel. The more i think about it, I’m wondering if it’s missing the bowl seal. Well back to the garage to check.

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

Nope not missing that seal.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Recheck the float adjustment. Glad to hear you are making progress. St.

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

I never I guess adjusted the floats but that's definitely the next thing I'll do. The weird symptom I'm having is it seems like only one side is actually firing. I took it out earlier today and cleaned the idle jet on the side I was having problems with. I got it to idle rather smoothly. I then took it out on the road for a quick ride through the neighborhood. It seemed to run smoothly for the most part. I put it back and came back a few hours later to start it again so I could show my grandmother and I had to mess with the carb adjustments to get it started. Now it felt like the other side wasn't firing. The exhaust on that side felt cold and it didn't warm up like the other side. It'd make sense if it turns out to be a float problem. Any other ideas if thats not the case?

srankin

Post by srankin »

I will give you the cheap answer, LOL, boogers in the carbs.

I don't know what the carb bowls looked like or the inside of the carbs looked like when you started to resurrect the bike.

If the gas was left in the carbs to age, they may have varnish in some of the internal passages. Depending on if this is the case and how bad the varnish, you may get by with just a minor bit of disassembly and squirts with carb cleaner. The worst case would be a total disassembly and soak in carb cleaner or ultrasonic cleaner.

IF it were me, I would adjust the floats, and run it for a bit hoping fresh gas would perhaps clean out things. If that didn't help, I would take them off the bike and as said do some careful one at time disassembly with carb cleaner squirting.

If you get them apart and they are really plugged up, then, a soaking in a gallon of carb cleaner or ultrasonic cleaner will be be needed. I really don't think you will need to go this far.

Good luck, St.