If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

GEN Light stays on

CraigMac79

GEN Light stays on

Post by CraigMac79 »

Hello. 1983 R100 RS
I have replaced the alternator
(Enduralast EDL4Li),
The starter (Enduralast 9 tooth)
and ignition (Wedgetail)
After completing install, the GEN light stays on and will not turn off.
I have the KATDASH LED kit in the instrument panel and that has tested in working order.
Has anyone experienced this issue, and also has a resolution?
Rubber Chicken mentioned disconnecting the head lamp relay and seeing if the panel then works correctly. I have not done so yet.

schrader7032

Re: GEN Light stays on

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! I've moved your post to the Classic section which covers the Airheads to give it better visibility. Others on the forum are experienced with the Katdash system...I'm wondering if there's an issue there?? Not clear on that. Anyway, hopefully an expert will be along! :D
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

CraigMac79

Post by CraigMac79 »

Contacted Katdash, got their test procedure, and the array is working properly according to their test procedure.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Great! Have you contacted the people who sold you the alternator and the diode board (Wedgetail). On the original Bosch system, getting the wires/washers back properly created a situation like you describe. There are test procedures for alternators and diode boards but as far as I know, those websites are for more conventional installations.
Kurt in S.A.

CraigMac79

Post by CraigMac79 »

Wedgetail is the ignition system, Enduralast makes the alternator. Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken set me up with all of these parts.
I did read somewhere that the diode board could be the culprit, but I cant find where I read that.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Okay, I have tried now three times to answer, third time is the charm?

What voltage do you get at the battery at rest? What do you get at the battery at 2000RPM?

Here is a quick test from Snowbum:
With the socket jumpered as described (NO connection to the BROWN wire), and monitoring the battery, or at least the bike's voltmeter (if it has one), start the engine and slowly raise the RPM. The GEN lamp should go out (if it does NOT, then stop, as you have other problems than just the regulator), and the voltage should begin to rise fast as rpm is raised, especially if the battery is near fully charged. Don't have the engine at high rpm very long, as the voltage might rise to over 15 volts, cooking the battery. This test BYPASSES the regulator (after all, it IS disconnected!), and the alternator should put out whatever maximum it can. If the alternator produces lots of electricity, and the reading comes up to at least 14 volts at the battery with the regulator bypassed (but will not come up to at least 13.6 with the regulator in place), then the regulator is likely faulty. NOTE that a stock fairing voltmeter may read about .3 volt, sometimes as much as .5 volt, lower than a voltmeter would if attached AT the battery.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

srankin

Post by srankin »

Ah Enduralast, Is there a separate voltage regulator as in the original factory system or is the voltage regulator built into the alternator?
If it is built into the alternator and not a separate unit, disregard the previous post I just sent.

Trouble shooting the high capacity, Enduralast 4 system is out of my ball park, a call to Tom Cutter would be in order to find the steps needed.

If the system is the same basic configuration as the original system, then you can try Snowbum's tip.

I should have read the questions and information but I didn't. LOL, St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

CraigMac79

Post by CraigMac79 »

Battery tested fine at rest, but I have not tested it st 2000 rpm.

CraigMac79

Post by CraigMac79 »

The regulator is separate. I have the good fortune to love close by to Mr Cutter, and have been asking questions, but I am NOT the only person asking and his time is limited to answer all of the questions he gets. He directed me to these type of forums.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I sure hope Tom finds time to help you out. EME sells the Enduralst EDL4 unit...this page shows the installation instructions and there's a troubleshooting section. I assume you have this document?

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/v/vsp ... DL4web.pdf

The charge light in the system remains off when the voltage on either side of the light is about the same. That is the voltage from the charging system and that sensed at the battery. If either side doesn't have the proper voltage, current flows from one side to the other and thus the light shines.

What is the health of the battery?
Kurt in S.A.