If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1956 R26 Motor Mount Question

VintageJim

1956 R26 Motor Mount Question

Post by VintageJim »

I noticed that the rubbers on the front and lower motor mount bolts have deteriorated. Does anyone know if you can remove the bolts and change the rubbers without removing the engine?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Jim

vechorik1373

Re: 1956 R26 Motor Mount Question

Post by vechorik1373 »

And the answer is:
No, you can't change out the rubber on the motor mounts without removing the engine.
Sorry to disappoint you.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Thanks Vech. Now I know exactly what this will entail and can get to work. I will no doubt find other areas to restore during this project. I read the Barrington Manual chapters on this and then removed the two bolts holding the motor with the hope there would be enough movement to sneak in the rubbers, but it wasn't even close. I was hoping there was some "trick" someone had figured out over the years, but my experience with old German cars has been that the engineers went out of their way to design things so they only come apart and go together one way. They aren't like the old Brit bikes you can overhaul in your garage with the tools at hand.
Jim

Grant R26

Post by Grant R26 »

Hi Jim
Vech is 100% right as always...no way to get the rubber bushes into the motor unless it is clear of the frame. But it is easier than you think. I'm told it is easier with the transmission out of the way but I've taken it out by myself with only the final drive disconnected and the rocker covers off . The old rubber pieces come out easy enough but getting everything lined up to drive in the new bolts was easiest with blocks of woods and cedar shims to bring the motor up to the point where everything lined up. That said, whatever the Barrington book tells you to do...follow their instructions.

And with the motor out...it is way easier to clean the motor case and replace things like your exterior clutch seal, wire in a fresh high tension lead etc etc.
Grant in Toronto

VintageJim

Post by VintageJim »

Thanks Grant. And to your point in the long run it will probably save me work to just pull the engine now. I have always wanted one of these old thumpers and got this as a project a few months ago. The bike had an extensive rebuild/restoration by Perry Bushong's BMW of Fort Worth TX about 25 years ago that cost way more than the bike was worth back then, and was driven very little for a couple of years before being put in correct very dry storage for many years. The paint and metal are still perfect but the rubber and wiring insulation are all kind of crispy and need replacement to maintain the quality of the bike. I originally thought I might get away without a complete tear down, but now realizing I might as well do everything including tires in one big project. But I will admit that I actually love these projects. :)
Jim