If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

My R69S Conversion

kirkpatrick3890

My R69S Conversion

Post by kirkpatrick3890 »

My conversion is a 1969 R69S purchased about 5 years ago from Peter Gruner in VA and came with:

’75 R90/6 engine, ’74 trans, 32/10 ratio (3.20) then July 2020 37/11 (3.36, for sidecar) rear drive, custom driveshaft, /5 headlight bucket, Heinrich tank, Wixom fairing & bags.

I have added dual discs the same size as a GSXR 750/1000 fitted to /6 front hubs custom cut down to allow for fitment of wire wheels, aluminum wheels, R90S engine emblems (not pictured), R80G/S oil pan & bash plate (just for fun), brake m/c from ’88 RS/RT, air horn, sidecar springs and new dampers.

Once I figure out how to resize the pictures I have of my conversion I will post them :-)
This site says my pictures are too large.
Mac Kirkpatrick
President, VBMWO

palica

Re: My R69S Conversion

Post by palica »

Can't wait to see the pics... :D

If you need to resize pictures, there are several free SW that will make it for you, but the simplest solution is to email you the pics: those will be automatically resized or the option to reduce the size will be given to you.
1967 R50/2 with Duna sidecar
1974 R90S

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

You should be able to rent an automotive engine hoist for a few bucks a day. At my age (73) I have learned to let equipment do the heavy lifting. It reduces the potential for damage to both the equipment and my body.

Craig

blacknight

Post by blacknight »

a GSXR 750/1000 fitted to /6 front hubs custom cut down to allow for fitment of wire wheels,

why did you have to cut down the stock hub ? there IS plenty of room for a std. 4 rib hub off a /6-S model.
Gooday
Harry

Fred Heiler

Post by Fred Heiler »

Sounds like a wonderful conversion bike. I'm installing a '71 R75/5 engine and trans in my R60/2 frame, and everything has gone pretty well, except that the top of the cast air cleaner housing contacts the /2 frame.

How was that addressed on your conversion? I've seen a bunch of photos now that show the air cleaner housing fitting perfectly on top of the trans, and I'm guessing that most folks grind a little off the top of the housing, but I don't want to do that unless I hear there's no other way.

Looking forward to hearing from you, Fred Heiler
Fred Heiler: Chester Springs, PA
1967 BMW R60
1965 Porsche 356 SC, 1986 Porsche 911

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Fred -

The spring 2005 issue of the club magazine has an article on putting a /5 engine into a /2 frame. There is a mention of clearance issues with the top of the air cleaner housing. However, it seems the author mentions a possible issue with the seat plate on the /2 frame. The fix was to remove the seat plate and weld into a different place to provide for clearance.

Just where does your engine hit the frame? I don't know the real estate very well, but it yours is touching the frame and not the seat plate, then maybe there's something else wrong.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Fred Heiler

Post by Fred Heiler »

My air cleaner housing touches the triangular bracket that's part of the frame, and it looks like it just needs another 1/8 or 1/4 inch of room. A seat bracket bolts to it, so I assume it's indeed the seat plate. I already had the frame powder-coated, so I don't want to do any welding or grinding on the frame.

Thanks so much for the tip about the conversion bike article. I'll read that thoroughly before I do anything more.

Thanks again, Fred Heiler
Fred Heiler: Chester Springs, PA
1967 BMW R60
1965 Porsche 356 SC, 1986 Porsche 911

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Fred -

Looks like you're between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I would not want to damage the existing filter covering, although maybe they're a "dime a dozen" somewhere. I can visualize some filter housings that were custom made and were more sloped at the back side. I think in that case, the customizer eliminated the housing for holding a filter and resorted to K&N pods instead.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.