If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1977 R100RS Instrument Cluster mismatch

srankin

Re: 1977 R100RS Instrument Cluster mismatch

Post by srankin »

Brake cylinder wiring. Okay, on your bike Shane, the rear brake master cylinder is missing the float and switch. The wires coming off the top of the master cylinder are part of the bike's main wiring harness as far as I can tell without pulling my bike apart to verify. This is the way they look"
Rear master cylinder wireing
Rear master cylinder wireing
I don't know if you can see the color of the wires. If you have loose wires, near this area, they might be for this float switch.

The wires for the rear brake light switch are a small sub harness connected by a plug to the main harness. This is the picture of that plug:
plug connection for rear brake light switch
plug connection for rear brake light switch
This wiring is separate from the rear brake master cylinder float switch.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

srankin

Post by srankin »

At the front of the Front under gas tank master cylinder is the brake light switch. I believe but am not certain without tearing my bike apart it is also part of the Main wiring harness. Here is the picture;
Wires for front brake light switch
Wires for front brake light switch
In addition to the brake light switch there is also like the rear master cylinder a float level switch:
float level wires
float level wires

I believe these like the brake light switch are part of the main wire harness.

These float switches are part of the brake failure light on the correct instrument cluster for your bike. They are not used on BMW bikes after perhaps 1981. Bottom line, the instrument cluster you have now, will not work with the float system wiring but the plug in the back of your instrument cluster is wired for them.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Here is a note about one of the best wiring schematics I have found.
IMG_20201117_103832052.jpg

srankin

Post by srankin »

So, taking a few pictures of the wiring diagram for your bike, I have the instrument cluster internal diagram.
IMG_20201117_104139015.jpg
This is how your plug and instrument cluster is supposed to be wired like. Anything else is incorrect.
IMG_20201117_104147724.jpg

srankin

Post by srankin »

This maybe a better picture.
IMG_20201117_104139015.jpg
Here are some parts of the diagram, you can get an idea of the proper wire colors for each component.
Brake fluid Float switch
Brake fluid Float switch
Brake switch
Brake switch
Turn signal buzzer
Turn signal buzzer

srankin

Post by srankin »

I am sorry I could not get pictures of the front of my engine as I have the fairing on and don't want to take things apart to uncover it.

I also don't have a spare proper instrument cluster I could send you. Mine are like the one you have now and are not correct for your bike.

Get a GOOD wiring schematic such as the one I have. Be of cheer in that if there is no obvious signs of cut, rewired or unplugged wires your wiring system is intact

Get the correct cluster.
Get the float parts for the rear master cylinder.
Check the wiring for cut or unplugged wires and determine if they are part of the problem.

Don't loose hope of fixing things, I have seen a whole lot worse messes by previous owners strange behaviors. St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Certainly, when the under tank master cylinder disappeared and showed up on the handlebars (front disk brake) models (1981??), there was no need for a light on the instrument pod. I can't say where the signal would have been displayed for the rear disk brake models.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Kurt, it is interesting to look at the microfiche for the RS. I see the rear reservoir listed as part number 34 31 1 241 961.

Looking at the diagram and picture Max has, I don't see the float assembly. I also don't see a part number for the rear float and level switch.

I am dead certain Shane's bike is supposed to have the float, and switch along with the sub harness 61 12 1243 616.

I would imagine when they made the change to the handle bar mounted front master cylinder they did away with the fluid level warning system altogether. There would be no need for it as there is no longer a bulb in the instrument cluster to light.

What ever year they made the change, I will bet 81, there was the corresponding changes in wiring as well as the change in the instrument cluster.

Once Shane gets the instrument cluster sorted with the proper one, he will have to start looking for the missing float, and the wiring to go with it. Or, he will just leave the fluid level circuit out all together.

I think with great certainty his problem lies more in the instrument cluster main plug for his bike is wired for the the lights he is supposed to have not the ones he has. I would imagine, the pins are close from the old year to the newer but not 100%

St.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

We had this discussion a few weeks back on a '77 R100RS rear master cylinder level switch. What did we learn from that? :?:
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

In that discussion, we learned Shane is missing the float and level switch as well as perhaps the wiring for his rear brake assembly. I sent him a picture of what the correct unit is supposed to look like.

Lord knows how I dislike fools (not Shane) who take perfectly good vehicles, tear them apart for whatever reason then cobble them back together using bits and pieces that don't belong.

Of course, LOL, this means I don't agree with the new crop of cafe bike or custom bike shops out there, I have mixed feelings with them. I see nothing wrong in someone who wants to make a custom bike as long as they do a proper job of it.

Glenn at the Beemer Barn has a bike that was hacked up and "customized" to the point where it quit working properly. The previous owner who did the hack job unloaded it on a new guy who wants the bike to ride. The jury is still out on when the bike will be on the road if ever, so much was changed by the hack owner. Glenn is trying hard to keep his price to bring it back to running condition to a minimum but time will tell.

In Shane's case, who knows how much of a hack job the previous owner did on the bike. It would be nice to teleport over to AU to see what is on hand and to give a hand. For now, we are stuck with the forum and pictures. St.