If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R51/3 – correct way of assemble the drive shaft

Micha

R51/3 – correct way of assemble the drive shaft

Post by Micha »

I wonder what the best method for this installation is.
I have attached the hardy rubber thing (with its ring) on the engines output.
I have taken the rear wheel out and loosened both chrome caps on top of the rear spring plungers (27 mm socket). Now the rear drive unit can be tilted left and right. What next?

I assume that I need to first insert the rear part of the drive shaft onto the shaft that stands out from the rear unit and only then attach the shaft’s flange to the engine’s side? And then after “calibrating” the whole unit – insert & fasten the tapered locking pin on the rear connection and close all with the bell cover?
Will appreciate your hints.
Thanks - Michael
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Beemer100

Re: R51/3 – correct way of assemble the drive shaft

Post by Beemer100 »

Micha,

you nailed it. First attach the drive shaft to the rear drive (don't forget to apply some heavy grease like Staburags). However, you need to make sure you shim it correctly. That is a bit of a trial and error process. You will see that the pin and the hole where the pin goes through is designed in a way (if you put in the pin in the right way) that the drive shaft gets pressed against the rear drive. Correctly shimmed the fully inserted pin will just press the drive shaft to the rear so that there is zery play.

Then you want to loosen the 2 bolts that hold the rear fender to the frame. This way you get a bit more space when you turn the rear drive counter clockwise (looking at it from the top). Put some talcum powder on the Hardy disk (no grease ... only gets messy afterwards). Turn the rear drive (with the attached drive shaft counterclock wise (to the inside) and fiddle the 2 pins of the flange into the rubber disk. You might need to turn both, the drive shaft and/or also the hardy disk a bit to get the pins and the holes aligned. But it should work easily.

You can now insert the pin in the back (or you can also do it before connecting the front ... doesn't really matter) and fasten it (crown nut and pin). As said, make sure you shimmed it correctly. Fasten the chrome bell and you're ready to go. Don't forget to put back in the two bolts that hold the fender ... ;-)

hope that helps
Klaus

Micha

Post by Micha »

Thanks Klaus, I went as you said and all look well.
I realize that the old sloping pin is worn, I will make my own from 4340 steel, should have a piece of this stuff lying around somewhere.
Plobably will tap it to 8x1.25 as I can't find my 8x1 die.
Will use loctite in addition to the split pin.
Thanks again.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Beemer100

Post by Beemer100 »

Micha,

before you make your own pin, check the old one. The flat side has a subtle slope ... hardly visible. And, no Loctite needed The pin will hold the crown nut in place

Klaus

Micha

Post by Micha »

Thanks for the tip.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466