If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Greetings from new member, rookie questions about my '65 R69S

TimStevens

Greetings from new member, rookie questions about my '65 R69S

Post by TimStevens »

Hey there, finally able to post on here as an owner after lurking on here for years. I'm now the proud owner of this 1965 R69S, which desperately needs new tires and some other things. I've wanted one forever and finally found the right one that matched my budget. It's a little rough in spots but I'm really looking forward to some light restoration, a few upgrades, and then riding the hell out of it. A few pics attached of.
1965 BMW R69S 04.jpg
1965 BMW R69S 05.jpg
1965 BMW R69S 09.jpg
I had some questions I was hoping I could get some clarity on, if anyone would be kind enough to help.

- Has anyone seen knee fairings like this before? Seller indicated they were a factory option but they look a little DIY to me, and I've never seen them on another bike before.
- Are these chrome valve covers "right", or would that have been done later? I've only ever seen them with a matte finish.
- Is 10w30 really the right stuff for the transmission, as recommended in the owners manual? Is there a preferred concoction?
- Any ideas of availability for ME 77s in 3.5-18? I'm struggling to find any. Are the Heidenau K34 good enough?
- Is the switchgear you see here "right"? It looks quite a bit different than what's in the manual. I'm planning on putting a set of bar-end turn signals on here. Was surprised to see the switch on the right given the bike currently lacks them!
1965 BMW R69S 23.jpg
1965 BMW R69S 24.jpg
Thanks in advance, look forward to being a more active member in this group.

312Icarus

Re: Greetings from new member, rookie questions about my '65 R69S

Post by 312Icarus »

Get to know Vech and Richard at Benchmark motor works in Georgia. They know and have access to virtually everything including the tires. Good service and good prices. I don’t beleive 10/30 is spec’ed for the gear box, but rather specific 80-90. Once again check with Vech for his recommendations.

Welcome, and good luck,

Icarus

jeffrey

Post by jeffrey »

Congrats on your find! I searched for my '68 for 6 months.

I had Metzlers on mine and I recently switched to Avon Road Riders. Like them a lot.

Your valve covers have been polished. If they have been sanded flat and polished, they probably won't go back to original with time - but close.

That directional switch does not look familiar and I'm being polite, LOL. Google "R69S handlebar controls" and you'll probably find lots of photos of handlebar stuff. My '68 has a /5 directional switch which looks ok, but I'd prefer the stock switch. Your headlight/highbeam switch on the left is the same as mine, which I believe is correct.

I switched my bench seat to a solo Denfeld. Way more comfortable (for me) and I like the look.

Benchmark is a great place to get stuff and great advice but their site is a little frustrating, IMHO. Motorrad is a good site to look up stuff visually and get part numbers.

Good luck and I hope you are located someplace that will allow you to ride this winter!

lauffer6996

Post by lauffer6996 »

Welcome, consider Heidenau K34's I put them on all my vintage bikes now......
Scott

PS Bench Mark Works is in Sturgis, Miss.

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

Nice find! Your diligence paid off.

Several observations:

The polished valve covers, chromed air filter, hubcaps and headlight ears are all after-purchase modifications.

The grips are interesting, and not familiar to me. I think they are definitely aftermarket.

The storage box with the BMW sticker on it, behind the kickstart, is not original (or it might be part of the kit that came with the authority versions of the bike). Whatever the origin, it looks at home there.

The Metzeler ME77 tires are available in Europe but not in North America--unless things have changed recently. Owners seem to be generally satisfied with the Heidenaus, and that's what I'll probably switch to the next time I need new tires.

Heinrich made aftermarket aluminum knee fairings for the /2s, and in fact I saw a set on Tim Stafford's eBay store very recently. There are also some fiberglass and carbon fiber versions for later models, but I don't know if they are available for /2s.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

312Icarus

Post by 312Icarus »

Sorry...MS, not GA! Icarus

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The mufflers aren't the standard cigar shape for the R69S. They look nice and clean...I don't recognize the maker.

A general question for others...are the spark plug caps original? I ended up with the brown bakelite plug caps from Vech. I think it was Duane Ausherman that said these metal shroud caps were know to leak spark through the cap to the engine, especially when wet.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

TimStevens

Post by TimStevens »

Wow, thanks so much for all the responses! I am sadly not in an area that's really conducive to winter riding, so I hope to get it out a few times, then probably get it nice and comfortable in the garage and start pulling it apart slowly to clean up and address a few small rust spots before they get to be problematic. That plus the seat swap, turn signals, and maybe switching to the 6.5 gal sport tank if I can find one at a decent price will give me some winter projects. Also, I need to figure out how to get the horn working else it won't pass NY state inspection. :)

I don't know the provenance of this exhaust either but it does sound quite nice, and the bike came with the correct exhausts as well. They're in great shape if I ever get bored with these.

A local dealer has the Heidenau tires (I'm not too far from Max BMW in Troy, NY) so I may just go with those for simplicity's sake if nothing else.

Thanks again!

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

Regarding Kurt's question about the spark plug caps: Yes, they look like the originals to me, and Duane is right about leakage. Most of the owners I have known have ditched them soon after they reveal their faulty nature. I'm sure I still have a set or two in my scrounge pile, but I would never reinstall them. I suppose a concours restoration might require them.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

goaarongo

Post by goaarongo »

Cool bike and great pics. I really like all the aftermarket kit.
Small detail - but I don't think the foot pegs were plated originally either. Looks cool though! Kinda wish mine were now.