If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Ok explain the patina thing to me

Gossamer

Ok explain the patina thing to me

Post by Gossamer »

Ok so I purchased this off my Uncle who was the purchaser in 1959 in Germany when he was stationed there.

Thanks to social media I found a group of enthusiasts who have been invaluable in helping me with this bike.

However some people say keep the bike unrestored in some areas.

For a memory refresher this is what I started with
20181123_093618.jpg
When redoing parts like this(air cleaner pic) I asked for the paint color, some guys said use xx paint, others chimed in, it's patina leave it.

I'm not going for a concours restoration. I'm going more the conversation piece vs the show piece. I plan to ride her on a semi regular basis. I'm concerned with it being reliable but I don't want it to look like something that was parked in a field and forgotten for 50 years like it did when I got her.

I know it's my bike 'do as I please' but I never quite understood the mentality of leaving her original. So let me hear your opinions please.

air cleaner.jpg
118787296_10217738208828594_1201550381821532981_o.jpg
Attachments
20200913_161859.jpg

malmac

Re: Ok explain the patina thing to me

Post by malmac »

This is a pic of my son's R60. The engine has been done up with a new crank and pistons and now runs fine. He has gone the line of fixing up bits that need fixing but not making pretty things which are quite serviceable. So I guess his road is the middle road.

If however a person was to procure a bike which had been owned and ridden and maintained for the last 50 years and the character of the bike as it now existed was pleasing to the new owner then I guess there is a case for leaving it as it is and just keep riding and maintaining what needs attention.

We seem to live in a world which is more and more obsessed with appearances so I have heard people are even taking a perfectly good vehicle and making it look artistically neglected. Sounds like hollywood to me.

However it is your bike as the saying goes.

Just a few thoughts for what they are worth.

Mal
Attachments
DSC05802.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

goaarongo

Post by goaarongo »

I'm leaving my bike ratty and dishevelled. For me it was initially a cost consideration, as paint and powdercoat (and hand done pinstripes) cost money that I'd rather spend on pistons. And while I have not completely ruled out the idea of doing all that in the future, I will say its kinda nice to not worry too much about a nick in the paint. I think I'll be more inclined to actually ride it, vs parking it like a museum piece. I also think there is some charm to a bike that shows its age. To me it tells more of a story and maybe makes it a bit more interesting.

Twocams

Post by Twocams »

DSC00001 (6).JPG
First day 03-19-13 001.JPG
For me it was look good and be able to ride safe. Changed the rims, put some paint on the rear fender. Powder coat the foot pegs. Rebuild the engine, change the seat, put some wax on the tank & frame.
Leave the patina to the Pickers.
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

malmac

Post by malmac »

Twocams wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:24 pm
DSC00001 (6).JPGFirst day 03-19-13 001.JPG

For me it was look good and be able to ride safe. Changed the rims, put some paint on the rear fender. Powder coat the foot pegs. Rebuild the engine, change the seat, put some wax on the tank & frame.
Leave the patina to the Pickers.
When you are riding your Honda V65 down memory lane it will be great when you get to 1984 and can get ahead of the rest of us.

This is said in a friendly fun tone of voice.... there is no snide element involved.

It's fun to have chunks of motorcycling history...... now where is that 450 desmo I used to own?

Cheers

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Twocams

Post by Twocams »

Its all good Mal. That V65 is one bike you want to hold on, when ya take off. Lots of poopa. :o I had one 20+ years ago & needed another one. With only 24,000 miles it runs like new. But I like all bikes anyway.
Have a great day Mal
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

FL54

Post by FL54 »

I’ve got an unrestored R50 and a restored R60. I ride them both but as previously mentioned, I worry about road chips etc. on the R60. There is something liberating about not worryingly about getting blemishes. If it were me, I would just clean it up to the point that pleases you and just ride it and enjoy.
Central Oregon

pmtremblay

Post by pmtremblay »

goaarongo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm
I'm leaving my bike ratty and dishevelled. For me it was initially a cost consideration ...
I'm with goaarongo. My R27 looks about as worn as the original poster's bike, and it's going to take most of my available money to get it running, then safe and reliable. Mine doesn't tell much of a story, except decades of neglect, but I certainly won't worry about gravel.
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R