If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Oil top ends right side BMW R60/5.

norwaybike

Oil top ends right side BMW R60/5.

Post by norwaybike »

I have replaced the cylinders and pistons on my Bmw R60/5. This is because there were wear marks in the nicasil coating on the right side. I also saw during disassembly that there was little oil in the valve cover on the right side, almost nothing. Was almost certain that this was due to excessive use of sealant which sealed the holes for the oil on the right side. I saw clear signs of that.
Has now fitted new cylinders and pistons, without the use of sealant. Have run the engine on the starter to verify that there is oil to both top ends, but it only came on the left side a normal amount, nothing on the right. I am sure that the holes are not blocked, have also verified with compressed air that there is a passage between the right and left bolt (where the holes for oil are located). I assembled together and thought a start-up of engine with a little idle would help, but no... Driven engine for 3-4 min without signs of oil on the top right side, all normal on the left. The amount of oil on the bike is correct, and the oil light goes out when the bike starts.
What do I do now, does anyone have a good tip?

schrader7032

Re: Oil top ends right side BMW R60/5.

Post by schrader7032 »

Unless there was some kind of change to the cylinders, the R60/5 did not have Nikasil lined cylinders. Not to say that you didn't have some wear issues, but originally they weren't Nikasil.

That said, I know it's pretty scary to put everything together and not get oil to the valve covers. You've driven the bike a fair amount and still no oil to the right side. Usually I just remove valve covers, drop the float bowls, and then crank the starter for what seems like a real long time!

The oil that migrates is from inside the engine splash that finds its way to the top studs and goes out those holes. It comes down the upper stud holes, through the rockers, and then gets splashed around inside the valve cover.

So, clearly need to be sure those holes at the base of the studs are not plugged. Can't see how the tubes that the studs run is are blocked. What could be happening is that the rocker shafts could be on wrong. There are some prick marks on the top of the pillow blocks. Does the right side look the same as the left side? Those prick marks should be on top and on the outside of the pillow block. Anton Largiader talks about /5 rocker shafts at the bottom of this page:

http://largiader.com/tech/rockers/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

norwaybike

Post by norwaybike »

I asked a company to drill the cylinders, but they could not do the job due to the coating in the cylinder walls. I assumed it was because of nikasil.

I first tried to crank the starter, but only got oil on the left side. A normal amount.
Then I started the bike and let it run at 1000 rpm for probably 3-4 minutes. Not a drop of oil on the right side.

I have checked that the holes at the bolts are not blocked. With a small piece of steel wire as far as I can, as well as with compressed air.

If the rocker shaft, I'm sure they are fitted correctly, both sides are also the same or the holes for the studs are blocked, I should still see hints of oil from the holes at the bolt end. But I see nothing even after I loosen the cylinder again.

I do not know well enough how the oil is distributed to the top end bolts from inside the engine, but to me it seems like that is where something is wrong.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Follow the oil path in Snowbum's article:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/oilsketch.htm

I thought it was splash, but in step #12 he indicates that the front big end bearing shell has outputs that feed the top two studs.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Randolph

Post by Randolph »

IIRC there is a dowel pin in the front crank bearing that keeps it from spinning. If the bearing spins it can block the top end oil passages. Look in the oil pan for a small dowel pin.

Randy

norwaybike

Post by norwaybike »

Good tip and I will check. But shouldn't this show up on both sides then? Since front end bearing lubricates both right and left top end?

Randolph

Post by Randolph »

I don't know. The bearing has slots in it so I would think it hard to cover one oil hole and not the other, but who knows?
Some people that might know are over on the Airheads list on Mica Peak. If you're not a subscriber go here:
https://lists.micapeak.com/mailman/listinfo/airheads
Ask the same question there.

-Randy

toolmandoug

Post by toolmandoug »

I had the same problem about fours years ago after a restoration on my R60/5. The block is machined between the cylinder studs, for clearance of the connecting rod bolts. When my block was machined, it went through the oil gallery, resulting in hardly no oil to rockers. The oval spot in the mirror is the hole in the gallery, small dot is what feeds cylinder. After repairing the defect, oil flow is good now. I new something was wrong after I purchase the bike and took right valve cover off. It was loaded up with brass from rocker bushings and worn rockers. Just never expected hole in oil gallery.
Attachments
BE4083EC-D223-4F4D-ABC8-B01C568AC9F8.jpeg

srankin

Post by srankin »

For one thing, it is very very uncommon and difficult for the bearings on the crankshaft to spin or move unless something catastrophic has happened to the engine or, the crankshaft and bearings were removed at some time. You don't mention trying to rebuild the crankshaft. And you don't mention running out of oil or spinning a bearing or replacing worn crank bearings. Don't worry about oil flow from the crankshaft area or too the crankshaft area. By all means, if you have never rebuilt a couple of airhead engines, don't attempt to do anything to the crankshaft or bearings. It only invites major problems. You can remove the oil pan and check for metal and give it a good cleaning if you want. Just don't mess with the crankshaft.
When you say you replaced the cylinders and such you say you used new cylinders and pistons? Do you mean just that or do you mean rebored rebuilt cylinders with new pistons and rings? In other words, did a machine shop rebore the old cylinders for you to use?

There is a possibility a shop not know what they are doing, or sloppy work could screw something up in their rebore causing the problem you are having. Not all machine shops are good or are familiar with airhead parts,

So, Where does this leave you? Recheck your work. Check the amount of sealant you used and how it was applied.

Sorry, I can't put a finger on the problem for you directly. I am not there, I can't see what you are seeing. I can only warn you about messing with the crankshaft and bearings, believe me, I know from experience what a job and can of worms setting a crankshaft can be.

Kurt and tool man Doug have the best lines to follow. I am sorry Randy, not to insult you going the path of the crankshaft Is only going to vastly complicate matters. I understand what you are saying but unless, as I said earlier, there has been a catastrophic engine problem, that dowel will not fall out nor will the bearing housing spin.

I don't know how much help I would be if I were there to see the bike I am sorry I am not, it makes things easier to see first hand. Perhaps looking online in this Website, or another BMW site, you can find an airhead friendly shop near you. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

norwaybike

Post by norwaybike »

Update: The cylinders were both replaced with brand new ones from www.motoworks.co.uk. Of course new stamps and piston rings as well. The cylinders were replaced when there were wear marks on the old right cylinder. During the disassembly then I also saw signs of poor lubrication of rocker arms on the right side. Thought then this was due to the use of sealant which sealed the oil holes. But from what I experience now was hardly just because of it. After the last update here on the forum, I have: Blown with compressed air into the oil ducts on the right side. Everything seems open, although of course I do not get checked back to big end bearing. Have taken down the oilpan without finding traces of either metal or gaskets. Cleaned strainer and oilpan, changed oil filter and oil. Then the engine cranked for at least 40-45 seconds, with no signs of oil on the right side. Left side all normal. Now I do not know what to check next ..