If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Airhead engine stands

tkb

Photos of Joel's engine stands

Post by tkb »

jrapose

Thanks Tandy..... I should

Post by jrapose »

Thanks Tandy..... I should have my new website up and running shortly..... I have had such a response to the engine stands that I am planning on expanding into stands for earlier bikes...and transmission stands...maybe even some special tools.

Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Guy
rapose.biz
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

jrapose

The website is now up and

Post by jrapose »

The website is now up and running.... it's www.rapose.biz If you look at it and see anything that needs to change please let me know....

Thanks

Joel Rapose
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA

schrader7032

Joel - I updated the website

Post by schrader7032 »

Joel -

I updated the website resource area with a link to your website.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jrapose

I need some input Guys.....

Post by jrapose »

I need some input Guys..... The stands came out beautiful.... I have already changed the locking device...I diden't like that link pin arrangement.... so I am threading the hole and using a knob with a 3/8' stud ...will make it much more user friendly...nicer too..

NOW... the stands came to me from the machine shop with one set of holes....so I tried mounting a R69S engine to it....and found that the holes don't line up well..... so I made a template and layed it out on the engine stand....to make it work,.. the /2 holes need to be drilled very close to the inner edge of the stand....to me that does not look too professional.... but it would make the stand useable for both early and later engines...

What Ya Think.....

Should the stands be drilled for /2 engines AND /5 and later airhead motors....even though it looks crude.

OR should I just offer a engine stand specifically for 1955 to 1969 engines,
and sell these stands for /5 and later motors...

I have had requests for R51/3 stands that are in the process now...

Thanks..... I just am not to crazy looking at these with holes drilled so close to the edge,,,

Visit my new website.... www.rapose.biz

Joel Rapose
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA

schrader7032

Joel - I think your gut is

Post by schrader7032 »

Joel -

I think your gut is telling you. Probably should have something that looks and works well and securely for the application.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jrapose

Airhead engine stands

Post by jrapose »

I wanted an engine stand like I saw at Ozzie's BMW...so... I made a paper copy of it.. took some pictures ...and went to a machine shop with a CNC machine...
The first stand cost me $250 (pattern) and I ordered 10 more .....once I got them they were almost twice what the original quote was.... so I am not making much .... if I have more made I will find a machine shop that will keep to an estimate.

I am selling these at $165 plus $15 shipping in the USA... if it cost more...I will pay the difference.

I think these are real nice....heavy duty...1/2" steel

I will have my website up pretty soon...with my Powerdynamo stuff (MZ-B) and the pictures will be on the site...

I also have pictures that I can e-mail if you are interested...

Thanks

Joel Rapose
joelrapose@Frontier.com
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA

jrapose

Modifications to the Engine Stands

Post by jrapose »

I liked the way the stands fit, and I didn't like the stands that were designed to hold early and late airheads, so I will not try to make a universal airhead stand...it just does not look good... the mounting hole in the center has to be so large for the larger diameter flywheel that the early engine bolt holes are too close to the inter edge...looks messy...

The modification I did that I really am pleased with is the holding fixture...it was originally made up of 3 pieces of 1/2" steel welded in a U shape, but I had problems with welders .... I tried to have them use a jig to weld the mounts but I found problems with the quality of their welds... So, in Redding I found a man that should be called Bender...as he has the largest and neatest bender I have ever seen... (he can even bend aluminum into U shapes without cracking) and I had him bend the arms of the mounts...first thing he did was build a jig so every bend is perfect... his work is something to be proud of...looks super...and I am happy.

I think I will start selling these /2 and later engine stands on EBAY.... same $165 plus $15 shipping in the U.S.A.
I will try to take some pictures and post them soon.

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA

jrapose

Picture of new model engine stands

Post by jrapose »

This is what the current model stands look like..... They are the same with the exception that the corners on the mount base is bent instead of welded...this was really a trick but I found a company that makes precision bends, notice there is no cracking around the bends and the metal on the sides is not distorted.... amazing and really well done.. I have no clue how they can be so perfect but
they are... just as strong as the welded corners but much more professional looking.. the whole stand is made of 1/2" STEEL and really strong.

The blue model stand fits the BMW /2 motors and transmissions

The red model stand fits the BMW later model Airheads (with electric starters)

Joel
Attachments
enginestandnew.jpg
enginestandnew.jpg (92.44 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA

bellpsp

Later model /5 and later engine stand

Post by bellpsp »

Hi Joel I sent you an email tonight to see if you have any of the later design engine stands left. I took over a vintage shops old airheads and have 13 /5 and later and 2 /2 engines that I will be repairing, rebuilding. Thanks
Scott Bell