If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/2 red & green pod lights

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Richard, the lens was originally installed and then a hot tool was used to melt the sides of the lens outward, around the inside of the headlight bucket. The plastic that the lens is made from often becomes brittle with age, especially the part that was melted, so that parts of it can break off with vibration.

A common way to secure the lens and seal the hole is to carefully lay a thin bead of clear silicone glue on the base of the lens where it meets the lip of the hole in the headlight bucket, and then to install it, wiping off any excess glue. This has held the lens on my R60/2 for more than 10 years.
--Darryl Richman

R.D. Green

Post by R.D. Green »

Aha! Thanks, Darryl. That explains why it won't come out. So - - the only way to get the old one out then, would be to actually break off the lip that was melted and bent over when it was originally installed? Seems like this might wind up destroying the entire lense....

Richard

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Is there any way you could "undo" the initially melting process? That is, somehow remelt or break off the piece that prevents it from coming out. I know it's tight working in there, but is there a way to get a drill or dremel in there or even a soldering iron to make enough of a clearance to get the lense out??

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

R.D. Green

Post by R.D. Green »

Kurt - - Good thought but, in my case, the lip that is holding the lense in the pod is in the very back and seems just about impossible to get to. The lips that I CAN get to are no longer there - - looks like someone already broke them off. Right now, I'm leaning toward just doing the silicone bead trick and moving on.

Richard

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

The red/green (charging/neutral) lens on my R27 is loose. The headlight, ignition switch, and speedo are out of the machine so I have a pretty clear shot at fiddling with the red/green assembly. Both indicator lights themselves work fine but the lens gasket is missing and I don't see how to get the red/green lens itself out of the pod to replace it. I also don't see what holds it tight to the pod or whatever it is that is supposed to be holding it in place. It's just kind of wallowing around right now. It looks like something may be missing but I don't know what. The "silver book" shows only the red/green lens and the gasket. No other parts. What I want to do is replace the red/green gasket, replace the two bulbs while I'm in there, and tighten the red/green lense to the pod.

Anyone have any advice?

Richard
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

aj.bauer

Thanks! /2 red green pod lights

Post by aj.bauer »

I know this is a ten+ year old discussion, but simply want to say thanks for this thread. I picked up a new red / green lens during restoration of my R50 /2, and have been wondering what the popular means for installing it is as the new one doesn't fit securely on its own.

This helps.
tony