If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Arghhhh. Sidecar blues... Can anyone assist?

newcombe2372

re:Sidecar Blues

Post by newcombe2372 »

Just a few questions.
1. how far of a lead with s/c wheel to m/c wheel (as a rough guide, CL of s/c wheel should be roughly even with rear ball mount on m/c frame).

2. toe-in (castor) should be measured at the front edge of front motorcycle tire and back edge of back m/c tire.

3. camber should be 3/8" to 7/16".

4. front brace should NOT have tension on it (it could twist your frame).

5. do you have your earls forks in the sidecar position? ie. swingarm in the front set of holes and upper shock mounts in the lower holes?

6. Do you have a friction steering dampener (recommended) or hydralic dampener?

7. you may want to check steering head bearings and and rear swing arm bearings for proper torque.
Sorry if the questions sound kinda dumb but without seeing the rig in person it's not easy to diagnose the problem.

I've been riding a sidecar rig exclusively for a little over 20 years. I hope this helps

Wayne

jrapose

Post by jrapose »

Hi jlibby..... You diden't say where you are located....I am in Southern California, (Camarillo)...and quite good at sidecar alignment...as well as /2 problems.... and would be glad to give you a hand if we are anywhere close together....

Joel Rapose
Camarillo Cal.

jrapose@thegrid.net
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

Kiaserwil

Re: Arghhhh. Sidecar blues... Can anyone assist?

Post by Kiaserwil »

I went through the same thing with my R71 and Stieb sidecar.It was violent at low speed.You can fine tune the toe in, tire pressure the steering damper at the handlebars erc etc.

I tried them all. What really solved it was a dampner from the sidecar to the fork.
Buy one from the Enfield web site. it is universal and it worked. No more shimmy or head shake.

Here's the latest in my bike saga. I've got the bike itself running great ('65 R60). No more leaky carbs (at least nothing too out of the ordinary I bought the lever tops) and she purrs like a kitten.

I just hooked up my new repro Steib LS200 and took it out for the maiden voyage. I never got it above 10 miles an hour, because the front tire of the bike was wobbling back and forth aggressively. I mean, if I didn't hang on tight, it would have been out of control. I re-checked the toe in and am within 1.5 inches as recommended in the manual. I did both front fork adjustments as recommended. The only thing that I haven't done is replace the front shock springs with something heavier. I'm convinced this has nothing to do with the wobbling because I was on a flat stretch of tar. What could it possibly be. Can any sidecar enthusiasts assist???? Thanks a lot
New comer to BMW bikes. Have a 1976 R 90S R/T with 34K miles. Mint original bike and weekend rider.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Here's the latest in my bike saga. I've got the bike itself running great ('65 R60). No more leaky carbs (at least nothing too out of the ordinary I bought the lever tops) and she purrs like a kitten.

I just hooked up my new repro Steib LS200 and took it out for the maiden voyage. I never got it above 10 miles an hour, because the front tire of the bike was wobbling back and forth aggressively. I mean, if I didn't hang on tight, it would have been out of control. I re-checked the toe in and am within 1.5 inches as recommended in the manual. I did both front fork adjustments as recommended. The only thing that I haven't done is replace the front shock springs with something heavier. I'm convinced this has nothing to do with the wobbling because I was on a flat stretch of tar. What could it possibly be. Can any sidecar enthusiasts assist???? Thanks a lot
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.