If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Anyone try Avon AM26 tires?

R.D. Green

Avon M26 tires

Post by R.D. Green »

I had looked into these tires when I was going through my R27 but by the time I located my Weinmann alloys, cleaned them up, and installed stainless spokes I decided to bite the bullet and just get the correct size and period-look tires from Vech. He sells 3.25-18 Heidenaus that look just "right" on the bike and are more than adequate to handle anything it can do.

Munk

Avon AM26

Post by Munk »

I just got a set of these in my size but I have not yet installed them. Out of the box they look great but certainly not period for the bike (68, 60/2).

Searching the net, I came up with a few good reviews but they are so new that not much has been written as of yet.

According to Vech, they are his prefered replacement for the Michelin Macadam's (no longer available).

I hope to get them in during the next week. I'll post an update once I get some miles on them.

:D S

Bullett

Post by Bullett »

Thanks for the input. I am thinking that I want to ride the bike instead of making it look period. I think the Avons might ride a bit nicer than the old style tires. The Continental/Pirelli tires on the bike were really squirrely on grooved pavement. Please post when you put the new tires on.
Sharon

Munk

Avon AM26 Review on a 68 R60/2

Post by Munk »

I have about 200 miles on the new Avon Roadriders and I must say that I really like them so far. Very smooth with great handling. I haven't had them out in the rain yet (thankfully) but I am quite pleased with them so far.

As for appearance, I must say that I like the bike better even though it isn't a period look.

Keep in mind that my previous tires were Continentals and the PO put a 3.5 on the front and a 4.0 on the rear so that was not the best initial set up.

I keep everyone posted on how they wear in.

Scott

Bullett

Post by Bullett »

Thanks for the info, Munk. I went ahead and ordered the correctly sized Heidenaus, but haven't mounted them yet. They do very closely resemble the Continental that I had on the front.
Sharon

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I need new tires for my R26. According to my owner's manual, the OEM tires were 3.25 x 18.

I found these Avon AM26 tires that come in these sizes. The tire comes in a "universal" spec, so should work on the front or rear. The tires look a bit modern, but seem like they might be nice tires.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/avon-ro ... ront-tires

So. . . I'm thinking of a 90/90 18 on the front and a 100/90 18 on the rear.

I know Cheng Shin makes a tire that's 3.5 x 18, but I'm thinking the Avons might be a better quality tire, and a closer fit with the OEM recommendations.

Does anybody here have experience with these tires on an old bike?

Any other suggestions?
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

c8h18

Time for new tires

Post by c8h18 »

I found this old thread in a tire search. My current Laser Techs are going to be eight years old next season so they have a bit of age on them but still seem to be in good shape and no place near the tread wear indicators. I ride the bike hard and enjoy some spirited cornering as well. Thinking that a more modern tire may suit my needs. Wondering if anyone can offer up some additional commentary related to the Avon AM26 and if so provide sizing data as well. Many thanks,

Greg

Twocams

I have never used Avon tires.

Post by Twocams »

I have never used Avon tires. But any tire that is 8 yrs old on a motorcycle is way to long....for me anyway. And especially "hard & spirited".
I know...I have only been riding bikes for 45+ yrs now. But they can get hard and even break down inside. 4-5 yrs is plenty for me cause there is only 2 of them on the road. Just buy a good quality tire for your Spirited riding. Never heard anything bad about any Avon tires.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

c8h18

I agree

Post by c8h18 »

Thanks Twocams, I agree. My every daily is a K13S which sees plenty of ride time but the old girl only gets out a few times a month. Cant say that in thirty+ years of riding that I have ever had a set of tires this long on any bike. I haven't heard anything bad about Avon's either. Think I may give them a try. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

c8h18

I went with the Avon's

Post by c8h18 »

I went with the Avon's:

90/90-18 Front
100/90-18 Rear

Will report back with riding impressions after I install and have some miles on them.