If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1977 R100 gas tank cap

comet

1977 R100 gas tank cap

Post by comet »

I have a problem removing my gas cap. I haven't locked the gas cap on my 77 R100 for years. I tried locking it today and yes it locked but when I unlocked it I could not remove the cap from the tank. The cap spun counter clockwise or clockwise but would not engage the threads in the tank. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the fix? Thanks for any help........Comet

schrader7032

I've read that you're better

Post by schrader7032 »

I've read that you're better off not locking these caps...the ratcheting mechanism can fail...they're not really like the cap on a car.

Snowbum discusses it at the top of this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/fuel-caps-airheads-K.htm

First try the belt/rope trick while standing over the bike on the pegs. Run it through the handle and provide some gentle up pressure while you try turning the unlocked cap off. If that doesn't work, follow the instructions on drilling a hole to release the mechanism.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

comet

Gas Cap Problem

Post by comet »

Thanks Schrader, I guess I am not the only one with that problem. I appreciate your help. Comet

Carott

/7 Gas Cap

Post by Carott »

Comet,
If your gas cap spins without resistance in both directions that is the locked position.
In the unlocked position there is usually a ratcheting sound when you tighten it after it bottoms out. If it makes a ratcheting sound when you turn it counterclockwise the mechanism has probably failed.
When the cap seems "locked" and will not move to unscrew it usually means that the threaded portion of the cap is stuck in the threads of the tank. Penetrating oil and gentle persuasion are your best bet.
If the cap makes the ratcheting sound when trying to unscrew it the the belt trick is the way to go.
Good luck,
Brett

lauffer6996

anoton's article

Post by lauffer6996 »

Anton's article might help as well.....
http://largiader.com/articles/gascap/

comet

Thanks, everybody......Comet

Post by comet »

Thanks, everybody......Comet