If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

oil flow to rockers /5

toolmandoug

oil flow to rockers /5

Post by toolmandoug »

Just got done with winter project, restoring a r60/5, and have low oil flow to right rockers. When I tore engine down, the right rockers were worn at valve contact area. Work done to the engine- New rings, new rod bearings and reseal. Right rockers have been replaced. The inside of the engine looked very nice and saw no reason to go further. The best description for oil flow is that it "falls" through the rockers, with a drip about every 30 seconds. Oil flow on left side is as should be, flushing, cooling, and lubrication. I am sure this problem existed before tear down, anyone have any ideas on what's going on or wrong? Forgot to add that I bought the bike couple of months before restoration, so I have no history on it.

schrader7032

Oil flows through the rocker

Post by schrader7032 »

Oil flows through the rocker tubes along the top two head bolts. I believe there is a base gasket of some kind, made of metal or paper. Also, there's probably two small o-rings that are at the base of the two top head bolts. Usually, a very thin film of non-hardening sealant, like Hylomar or Permatex Ultra Gray is used. It is important that the sealant does not block the oil flow out of these two top head bolts.

The oil flow is not gushing, but it's more than just a drip. I think this blockage needs to be investigated.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

toolmandoug

There is no restriction, was

Post by toolmandoug »

There is no restriction, was very careful with my ultra grey. In fact I can remove the rocker, and spacer, clamp a hose on the sleeve around the stud and blow through it. It's almost like there is a plug missing in the oil passage.

schrader7032

Anton has a bit of a writeup

Post by schrader7032 »

Anton has a bit of a writeup on rockers.

http://www.largiader.com/tech/rockers/

Snowbum has more details here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/headassy.htm
Kurt in S.A.

toolmandoug

I have read a lot about the

Post by toolmandoug »

I have read a lot about the adjustment (end play) and low oil flow, but it does not make sense to me why one side has good flow and the other has nothing. Could there be a plug missing from the oil passage on the right side?

schrader7032

I'm not following what you

Post by schrader7032 »

I'm not following what you mean by a plug missing. It's almost like there's a plug in the right side, not allowing the oil to flow. Could there be some blockage where the stud screws into the engine case? According to Snowbum's oil flow diagram, oil flows front end big bearing shell which has outlets to the top engine studs. Sounds like somewhere in that oil flow path, there's a restriction to the right side.
Kurt in S.A.

toolmandoug

I thought there might be a

Post by toolmandoug »

I thought there might be a plug that goes in the drilled passage, maybe one that got left out. Like I said before I can put a hose on the sleeve over the stud (at rockers) and blow though with little restriction. I have looked at snowbums diagram, studied up with my three shop manuals, but really can't find any good information. My gut tells me that the oil is dumping out some where, or the bearing in the front holder has been replaced and not drilled to the right passage.U

toolmandoug

Found the problem! The oil

Post by toolmandoug »

Found the problem! The oil passage between the rocker studs had a hole in it. It was right in line with the feed hole to the cylinder, but up inside the block. Had to use a mlrror to see it, or lay on the ground and look up. When the block was machined, it went through the oil passage. I think this was done from day one, 1971. Repaired the hole with a aluminum patch and J B Weld. Not my perferd way of fixing, but figured had nothing to lose. After the engine was put back together and runnig oil poured out of rockers as it should. I'm going to run the bike this summer and keep an eye on it.

schrader7032

That's a strange one!!

Post by schrader7032 »

That's a strange one!!
Kurt in S.A.