If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

new R65LS owner

schrader7032

new R65LS owner

Post by schrader7032 »

Dave -

Sounds like you've got a good bike to start with. The R65 is a nimble bike with reasonable power.

As for the steering, you're correct that it should not be that heavy. I try to adjust my steering such that if I nudge the bars off center toward one side, they will easily move to the stop but will not swing quickly and bounce off the stops...that's too loose.

If you're not feeling notchiness, then the grease has not hardened and the bearings have not been abused.

But you should investigate this as this kind of front end response is unacceptable for your health! So, better consider getting in there and cleaning things up and figuring out what might be wrong. The bearings could be very rusty depending on previous storage.

I'm not specifically familiar with the R65 but here's a couple of websites that can provide some general guidelines on overhauling the front forks:

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/airheads/fo ... haul.shtml
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/steering.htm

I can't help much with the exhaust question. Maybe someone else has some experience with the black headers/pipes.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

ddold

new R65LS owner

Post by ddold »

Great, thanks Kurt. I was afraid that I was just coming from a very different type of bike, having mostly had a history in sportbikes ranging from NSR250s to CBR900RRs, with some motards tosed in for good measure. I'll get the bearings regreased this weekend.

Here's a quick shot of the bike:

ddold

new R65LS owner

Post by ddold »

The handling is all sorted out. New bearings in place and now it rides like a proper bike, and I can see why everyone enjoys the way it takes corners.

But ... the speedo is kaput. The needly bounces around, distractingly waving like a little white arm. The speedo cable seems fine, but if you hook a drill up to the speedo directly you can hear a little crunch crunch. Are they rebuildable, or should I try and find a replacement?

schrader7032

new R65LS owner

Post by schrader7032 »

Disconnect the cable as soon as you can, if you want any chance of saving the unit. That movement is not good for it. If you feel that the cable is fine (doesn't cost much to figure that out with a new one) and that the speedo itself is the problem, you might be out of luck trying to fix it. I'm aware of a website that gets you inside the /6/7 types speedos...the R65 might be a bit different. Most things people try to fix are when the trip meter or odometer numbers don't register properly. The problem is usually that the little number wheels are slipping off the shaft. Here's the link anyway:

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/160/98/

It's possible, if you can get the unit out of the little fairing, that the insides are similar to the above. You might find that a drive wheel or spline is loose or slipping...I doubt grease is going to fix it. But even if you find what part is screwing up, I doubt you can get that part, not even from BMW. They're sold as a total unit.

Places for repair of the speedos are Palo Alto Speedometer, North Hollywood Speedometer, and Overseas Speedometer (Austin, TX). There are others but these are the big three. What I've heard, generally, is that the price of having yours rebuilt is around the same price, if not more, than a new one. Check out your dealer or Chicago BMW. Usually, they offer about 20% discount...you might have to wait a bit or bug them about your order.

Hopefully that will give you some ideas.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

ddold

new R65LS owner

Post by ddold »

Brilliant, thanks Kurt. I disconnected it as soon as I got home, so at least it won't get any worse. Palo Alto is right next door to my office, so depending on where in PA they are it might be very close by.

VBMWMO

new R65LS owner

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello everyone,

As of this evening, I am the new owner of a 1983 R65LS in pretty good condition. Other than missing battery covers (the owner gave me replacement ones that just need to be paint matched) and some rust on the exhaust pipes, it is in very good condition.

Two questions so far ... the steering is very, very heavy. I've only ridden one R bike before this, but I don't remember that steering to be so heavy. It almost feels like the the stem cap nut has been over tightened. There is no notchiness off center, just generally heavy steering. Should they be this heavy, or should I get that stem apart and re-greased now?

There are stainless steel exhaust replacements available, but they aren't black like the originals. Has anyone ever taken those exhaust pipes and just had them powdercoated a flat black to mimic original equipment?

Thanks everyone,
Dave
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

Meerkat

Another one

Post by Meerkat »

After travelling many miles and a long time searching I finally found another R65LS. Just 2 previous owners with the last one for 21 years.
I bought one a few years ago prior to my quadruple bypass because the K was getting hard to manage. Later on I regretted selling it and starting looking for another.

I love the old single cylinder series BMW's and my R65LS.