If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Barn find R27, new member

pmtremblay

It probably wasn't several

Post by pmtremblay »

It probably wasn't several full 360 turns, I was just surprised at how much it took. Yes, definitely at the OT mark. After the final time I did it rotated the engine with the kick start a few times and confirmed the gaps. I did that again a little while later before I put the covers back on.
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

pmtremblay

Good news update, R27

Post by pmtremblay »

I'm the OP on this thread, back with an update. As of this week, my R27 is back on the road. The short version is after cleaning the bike up and doing what I could, I made the smart choice and took it to a pro shop. All new wiring, suspension, most gaskets and rubber bits, and it now starts first or second kick and idles great. It shifts, moves along and handles better than I'd expected, and stops pretty well. I've only been out on a couple of short runs, but I'm already eyeing a MotoGiro later in the year.

Big thanks to all the people on this forum and elsewhere who gave me input, and to everyone keeping these old bike on the road. Here are a few photos, there are a bunch more before and after shots here. I'll keep working at cleaning up the aluminum, but for the most part 'm going to leave it looking just like this: https://www.sparkplugsociety.com/Galler ... /n-pzDSb9/
Attachments
P1010062.jpg
P1010055.jpg
P1010034.jpg
P1010012.jpg
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

Slash2

Re: Barn find R27, new member

Post by Slash2 »

Neat bike. I found my R27 in a similar scenario. It had been hibernating for decades in storage. Fortunately it was climate controlled storage. She needed some work to get going but she’s got real character.
I’m curious why your first order of business when you got her home was to remove the quite fragile tank badges? I never touch these unless absolutely necessary as the likelihood of cracking the porcelain is too high a risk for me.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

pmtremblay

Re: Barn find R27, new member

Post by pmtremblay »

Slash2 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:05 am
I’m curious why your first order of business when you got her home was to remove the quite fragile tank badges?
I knew I'd have to get kind of violent to clean out the inside of the tank and figured they'd be safer set aside. They were caked with crud and corroded like much of the bike anyway, so I gave them a good cleaning front and back. A big plus for the whole project was that things came apart and went back together easily, including the badges.
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R