If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How to? R51/3 rear oil slinger and rear bearing

Micha

How to? R51/3 rear oil slinger and rear bearing

Post by Micha »

Is it possible to pull both off the crank, or is this a job for a engine workshop only?
I want to check if the crank needs a rebuild. If the workshop confirms it as ok, I still would like to exchange that bearing and check / clean the rear slinger.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Daves79x

Easy Enough

Post by Daves79x »

It's easy enough to pull the rear slinger and bearing, once you have the crank out. If you've gotten that far, this is a piece of cake, but you need the correct tool.

Dave
Dave

Micha

Thanks. And what would the

Post by Micha »

Thanks.
And what would the correct tool be?
The original tool is the Matra 282, which obviously is not in my tool range...
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

ahistand

Tool

Post by ahistand »

Michael the correct and probably best tool is that Matra 282 like you’ve already found. I’ve seen a few other homemade variations of varying designs. The Many-in-one tool that CycleWorks sells includes the rear main bearing puller, however it is a quite different design than the Matra 282. The problem, as you’ve likely already found, is that there’s very little room for any tool to get underneath the outer edge of the bearing to exert enough force to remove it. There’s probably a little more room for sub-quality or lesser pullers if one decides that both the bearing and slinger will be “sacrificial” and thus destroyed during removal. I don’t necessarily recommend that approach, but in lieu of spending a fair sum of money on the right tool, it has certainly been done. In truth, most often both the bearing and slinger will need to be replaced regardless of how gently they are removed. Bearing due to mileage, and slinger because often they crack near the screw hole and are difficult to thoroughly clean. Other than the tools I’ve already mentioned I’m not aware of any readily available alternative tool that will guarantee bearing removal without damage to either it or the slinger.

Micha

Thanks a lot. Appreciate your

Post by Micha »

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate your time.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466