If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1952 R51/3 fork rebuild project

The Plunger

Spacer

Post by The Plunger »

There shouldn't be a spacer. Did you replace the bearings with tapered?
Brian
Brian
59-69

ahistand

Spacer

Post by ahistand »

When you say the “nut will not tighten down the top plate”, what do you mean exactly? That spacer, or washer which is all it is, shouldn’t be there, but if it was there it shouldn’t have any effect on tightening down the top plate or not. Maybe a couple photos of your specific parts would help.
I’m assuming BMW added that washer on the /2 bikes because theoretically any washer makes torquing the corresponding nut a more specific and precise affair.

jwonder

Research is good!!

Post by jwonder »

Brian, your thoughts forced me to do more research and I learned much more because of it! And that is all good!!!

Interestingly enough With all that info they didn’t have the original color in the books!
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

jwonder

Still learning

Post by jwonder »

After I did more research I found that the adjustment lock nut and spacer are not correct for the R51/3. The nut and spacer is from the /2 series. They must have put this on when they did the tapered bearings a couple years ago. The nut looks newer than the other parts which makes sense.

I did find that Salis has a special nut for the tapered bearings that has a longer shoulder to go deeper into the tapered bearing. It also has the right height shoulder for the r51/3 top plate. It is here.

The one that was on it was this one which has a higher shoulder on the plate side.

I could have simply put the nut on the lathe and machined the top down but I liked the one from Salis as it gives more support to the bearing. The correct one is on the way to the US now.

Thanks!!!

James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

wa1nca

lock nut and spacer

Post by wa1nca »

This is why I like Salis web site
Pics are the copy of standard mico film but when you go into their details much more info is noted

Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA