If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

"Vintage" Helmet for safety?

nedhoey

Nolan

Post by nedhoey »

When I went shopping for a new helmet for use with my R69US, I searched everywhere for a period looking helmet that was DOT that I also liked. Not easy. The Davida half shells aren't DOT. You have to go to 60's style "jet pilot" open face to get DOT approved. I went with a Nolan.There are several styles here:
http://www.nolan-usa.com/categories/hel ... red&page=1

While it doesn't have the full retro look I figured since my bike is late /2, a 60's design was ok AND I feel reasonably protected.

jrapose

BMW Cruiser

Post by jrapose »

Actually there is one that no one has mentioned..... years ago when BMW was selling those Cruiser bikes they had a helmet in Europe that they sold as a Cruiser.... it is a retro helmet....seems less than a 3/4 and more than a 1/2 helmet.... I bought two when they were new...I totally wore one out and well into my second helmet.... never sold in the USA so I am sure they never were Snell tested or DOT but if they were sold in Europe the testing was done to their standards and not any problem.... the Europe standards are way better than anything we do.... I have seen these advertised on EBAY in Europe for very reasonable prices...

Joe
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

jberzins

I ended up with this. I think

Post by jberzins »

I ended up with this. I think I will like it! Don't I look happy?
Attachments
helmet.jpg
helmet.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 2724 times
1969 R69US, 1966 R/60, 1973 R75/5, 2001 R1100RS

808Airhead

Has a vintage look to it.

Post by 808Airhead »

Has a vintage look to it. Just got to airbrush a silver frame around the goggles and..............!!! Goggles look Terminator-ish but the helmet definitely has a old school shape.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

jberzins

The shade is retractable,

Post by jberzins »

The shade is retractable, which is good. The helmet is called the Pit Boss by Bell and after looking at all the others out there, including the Davida I thought this was the best for the buck.

mackenzie7548

Davida Jet

Post by mackenzie7548 »

The Davida Jet is a great helmet. The quality is superb with the inteior leather lining.

Thomas
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (210.47 KiB) Viewed 2724 times

Rubone

As soon as "coolness" begins

Post by Rubone »

As soon as "coolness" begins to dictate safety you are lost. My wife is a deputy ME, and she has never come home and told me how "cool" the guy that they scraped off the road looked...
I ride with full modern gear no matter what I am on (so does she), and my '55 R69 is far newer than most of my other bikes.
Friends help friends move,
Real friends help friends move bodies.

jberzins

helmet

Post by jberzins »

As soon as "coolness" begins to dictate safety you are lost. My wife is a deputy ME, and she has never come home and told me how "cool" the guy that they scraped off the road looked...
I ride with full modern gear no matter what I am on (so does she), and my '55 R69 is far newer than most of my other bikes.

With all due respect, your response does not really apply to my question, it seems to be more of a personal statement. When I used to ride, I wore no helmet. Now I choose to wear one that I am comfortable with. The half face certainly offers more protection and it is a choice I make when riding at slow speeds on a classic bike. It isn't about being cool, it is about what works for what situation. The helmet I wear on my bicycle is no where near as sound as my half face, however it is appropriate for the use. Thanks for your opinion, I have made what I feel is a good choice.

Barry Robin

Here's a fun but useless

Post by Barry Robin »

Here's a fun but useless piece of trivia: The very first DOT/SNELL approved helmet was the Cromwell "Silverstone". It looks like this:

808Airhead

If ones priority in life is

Post by 808Airhead »

If ones priority in life is safety,I highly suggest staying away from motorcycles!! lol
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69