If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

sticky tranny 1960 R50?

AKHANZ

sticky tranny 1960 R50?

Post by AKHANZ »

Am breaking in an engine.. Brooks Motors Rebuild and have about 150 miles on the engine.. all I did to the tranny was add the exact right amount of oil to the box and have been riding it.. so at about 135 mile the shifting became sticky.. I am using synthetic gear oil.
High quality syn gear box oil and measured to the exact spec drop added to the tranny.. a new felt in the push rod to keep the oil out.

But now a sticky tranny when warmed up.. not over heated or any thing.. just stick from 1st to 2nd and so on.

Any ideas.. t.he bike is an R50 from 1960. sweet other wise.

Thanks Jim
Attachments
hans_new_cushy_026_medium.jpg
hans_new_cushy_026_medium.jpg (101.26 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
hans_new_cushy_006_small.jpg
hans_new_cushy_006_small.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
Hanz - 1960/R50
Gertie - 1977 R75/7
RFAR1 - R1100S

schrader7032

Can you describe what you

Post by schrader7032 »

Can you describe what you mean by sticky? Is the hand clutch lever difficult to move? Is it the foot lever? Does the transmission lurch or drop into gear all of a sudden, ie, there's no smooth engagement?

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jeff dean

What is a definition?

Post by jeff dean »

Can you describe what you mean by sticky? Is the hand clutch lever difficult to move? Is it the foot lever? Does the transmission lurch or drop into gear all of a sudden, ie, there's no smooth engagement?

Kurt,

This is off topic, but when I read your response re: "sticky" I could not resist:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/us/14bar.html

I know your reference to sticky was more analytical than definitional, but it reminded me of the above article.
[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

AKHANZ

sticky...sticky

Post by AKHANZ »

Thanks Kurt and Jeff for the interest..

The tranny shifter lever requires 2 to 3 times more effort to cause a shift in gears and the feel is stiff.. as opposed to the normal toggle feel of a shift.

I am nervous about over filling the trans as it was a mistake in the past and the clutch became saturated with gear oil.. so when I rebuilt the clutch the oil I added to a dry tranny was the spec cc in the manual and books. My clutch actuating system is smooth and there is abit of oil around the rear plunger but not any great amount to cause concern.

My next step was to dip the level to determine the oil level from the filler hole and try to establish the correct level. Just below the threads?? or some place close???

Any enlightenment here would be appreciated..

Also, before this issue came to the forefront, the trans shifted like all normal units. I have been island riding so most of my speeds have been under 45 and 2nd and 3rd gear for break in of the motor. No hard usage and no notable heat on the case. It actually was just luke warm to the hand like the rear end temp. Normal shifting was like butter.. smooth and easy.

Next time I ride, if it acts up again.. I will drain the fluid and change, the see what happens.

So Kurt, stiff had and edge and caused me to find a false neutral instead of 2nd then going to 3rd and back and forth required at least 3 times the normal effort to move the lever and gears... clutch is all operating normally.

I will double check that too.

Thanks for the input.

Jim, Ketchikan

Hanz - 1960/R50
Gertie - 1977 R75/7
RFAR1 - R1100S

jbarneshb

I don't know if this would

Post by jbarneshb »

I don't know if this would have any effect on shifting effort but it's my understanding that unless you've changed out the seals in older transmissions that modern oils can deteriorate the seals and that 40 wgt Rotella motor oil is more appropriate. That's what I use in my 59 R50 and I have had no problems.

RainyRider

Shifts different now?

Post by RainyRider »

Does it shift differently now than before you changed to synthetic? IF so, try going back to 40wt.

And, you might call Kevin and ask him about it.

fred

Bruce Frey

Are you sure the clutch is

Post by Bruce Frey »

Are you sure the clutch is properly adjusted and is releasing all the way? Maybe you are trying to shift through a dragging clutch.

Bruce

AKHANZ

thanks for the input

Post by AKHANZ »

Clutch is normal and releases as expected.. will double check.
I will consider all above.. am going on a trip to the wilds of Alaska and will return in 10 day.. will follow up with a result..
I do appreciate the input.

Jim, Ketchikan
Hanz - 1960/R50
Gertie - 1977 R75/7
RFAR1 - R1100S

AKHANZ

been absent..

Post by AKHANZ »

Just got back and checked the fluid levels in the tranny.. all good.. about 1/8" below the threads on the level.
I installed a new clutch disk with the engine rebuild.. and am breaking in the clutch too. I noticed quite some stretch in the clutch cable and also noticed that when the motor heated up the clutch was sticking upon dis-engagement and this is what is causing the stiff shifting.. the tranny is loaded. I have re-adjusted the cable and will tinker with the engagement pin in the rear of the tranny to make sure that the plates fully release when shifting.. it is now happening when the plates heat up and most likely close the clearances due to some heat expansion.

Now that I understand it.. I think I can adjust it correctly to release fully when shifting gears. I had to pull in the clutch and rev the engine to free it the disk then shift. Hopefully I can adjust this out.

What else would make a clutch disk sticky. Was new and clean when installed.

Jim
Attachments
hanz_motor_rebuild_nov2011_020_medium.jpg
hanz_motor_rebuild_nov2011_020_medium.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
Hanz - 1960/R50
Gertie - 1977 R75/7
RFAR1 - R1100S

schrader7032

This seems quite unusual.

Post by schrader7032 »

This seems quite unusual. What is the source of the clutch parts? I wouldn't expect that to happen with OEM parts.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.