If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

considering purchace of R60

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I can't think of anything that comes to mind versus the later cousin R60/2. The R60 was slightly lower in power, but basically the same bike. Roland Slabon does mention that the bikes built 1955-1960 don't have some of the improvements that the 1961-on bikes got, so they're not as desirable. The R68 and R69 of this period, though, are sought after bikes.

With any of these bikes, you should ask about past maintenance and especially if the slingers have been cleaned at anytime. It this is an unknown situation with the bike, you'll need to factor in a bottom-end overhaul as soon as practical. If the slingers are ignored and they are truly filled up, damage to the lower end bearings can be the result, ended in quite a repair bill.

So, it would appear that the pre '61 bikes should come at a price lower than the later, "official" /2 machines.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

secretsenor

Post by secretsenor »

" the bikes built 1955-1960 don't have some of the improvements that the 1961-on bikes got, so they're not as desirable."

what were the improvements?

I take your point about the slingers - seems to be quite a topic of conversation and worry.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I'm not sure I can recount all the changes, but I know that the transmissions were improved, they finally went to 3/4" reach plugs, there were bad alloys for the heads in the mid 60s, the frames were improved, etc. You can get a sense of the some of the changes by looking at the service bulletins. This website has a lot of those bulletins.

http://www.beemergarage.com/bulletin.html

This is not to say that any of the '55-on bikes aren't worth owning. As one could expect, there were continuous improvements during the run of the bikes. It's just where you want to tap into that.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

From a collector's standpoint, I am not sure I agree that the pre /2 bikes are less desirable than an acutal /2. In casually watching prices, I don't think I have detected any year to year specific differences. I think Duane says that the mid 60's R60/2 were quite problematic

If I were buying a vintage bike to ride relatively hard, I might go with a later bike (in fact I jumped 1938 to an R90S and passed by the R51/2 to R69S altogether). For the normal 2 or 3k/year collector, I am not sure it matters very much. It really depends what you like in a bike.
Bruce

secretsenor

Post by secretsenor »

I have bought the bike, so I am now wondering about what the weak links are as I intend to use it about twice a week or more.

I imagine that there is a fair bit of compatibility with later bikes.

For example if there is a better transmission in the later 60/2 - or an "LK" head might fix a potential problem with cracking then I would 'upgrade'. I'd only use period or parts from these two models. but I'd be interested to know what the factory upgrades were.

The only other thing - and I mention this as I have had quite a few cars from this period and I feel it has made a difference - is electronic ignition. Is it available for these bikes?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The only other thing - and I mention this as I have had quite a few cars from this period and I feel it has made a difference - is electronic ignition. Is it available for these bikes?

There is a system which provides an electronic ignition and converts to 12v. A friend installed one on his R60/2 to cure a differential timing issue with his points. Bike runs smoother and has likes the boost in light for night driving. Check out the systems here:

http://www.powerdynamo.biz/deu/systems/ ... mw_abc.php

The instructions left a little to be desired but the response of the company to questions was good. Possibly the instructions have been updated.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

secretsenor

Post by secretsenor »

Interesting.... Thankyou.

I put new fluids in the engine, transmission, shaft and final drive today - I'll get some tires (currently on sidecar profiles) and then I might take her for a few short runs to free things up a bit before pulling things down to check the slingers and bearings etc.

thanks again.

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

You are right to suspect that the ignition is a weak link. Magneto coil failure is a historic problem. Problematic hot starting is usually the first sign that failure is imminent.

Replacement coils are available that improve reliability, however.

Another electronic solution is the MZ iginition that replaces the magneto. IIRC it does not replace the generator, however. Joel Rapose, who I think occasionally posts here, imports them into the USA. The MZ units seem to have a good reputation.

I don't follow /2 stuff that closely, but I know I have seen some other options.

Bruce

secretsenor

Post by secretsenor »

Which ignition kit is considered the best?

I like the idea of running without a battery - cleans things up a bit in the frame.

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

I am not sure there is a "best", but if you want to run without a battery, just keep your stock magneto and keep a spare coil handy in case it fails. The stock setup is a magneto that does not require a battery to run.

I would research the other systems and talk to users before making a decision to change. The Yahoo /2 forum is also good source of information. The MZ is also available with generator, I think.

Bruce

Which ignition kit is considered the best?

I like the idea of running without a battery - cleans things up a bit in the frame.