If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1968 R60/2 Throttle Question

John0313

Post by John0313 »

Michael-

That is correct for these machines. This was a primitive form of "cruise control".

Congrats on your new purchase!

John

Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Well that makes me feel better.
Thank you,
Michael

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

John's right. My R69S is missing that "luxury" and my wrist and arm gets quite tired on long trips. I'll need to pull mine apart and see if I can fashion a new one. I may just have to buy a whole new throttle tube from Vech.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

danpearl

Post by danpearl »

Are you guys unaware of springs above your carby slides?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Are you guys unaware of springs above your carby slides?

Dan -

What do you mean? I am certainly aware of the springs above the carbs...that's what pushes the slides closed. Without the extra drag in the throttle grip area, my throttle closes all on its own. You do need some kind of spring because the spring also serves to ensure that the cable end at the carb slide is held firmly in its slot. I suppose one could replace those with lighter springs, although I've not heard of these being offered. They do offer lighter springs for the /5-on later model Bings.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Bill7593

Non-Return Throttle

Post by Bill7593 »

Your throttle should close when you let go the grip. If it doesn't then it is binding up somewhere. Maybe the cables need to be serviced (cleaned/lubed) or maybe they are routed wrong so that they can't move freely. Maybe your throttle twist grip assembly is dry and needs grease. Maybe the carbs themselves are binding (doubtful if it runs properly otherwise). Time for wrenchs and screw drivers!

Bill
Bill H.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Bill -

It is my understanding, and has been stated in previous posts, that there is a device inside the grip that holds the throttle in a position. I tried it out on a friends R60/2 and sure enough it stayed in position. I was at Vech's vintage rally this April and tried a couple of bikes...they all stayed in postion.

Duane has a picture of the device on his website:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/control/control17.jpg

Duane writes: "The purpose of the spring is to provide resistance from the grip easily returning to idle. It is a crude "cruise control." It's tension is only adjustable by the amount of grease, or lack of grease between it and the bar. You don't want to allow it to come off of the bar. If it does, it isn't the end of the world, but now it must be started back on. That takes a turn in the wrong way to allow it to "walk" onto the bar. The /5 and later don't have this feature. They have an adjustable throttle screw as a type of "cruise control."

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

Bill7593

throttle stop

Post by Bill7593 »

Humm... Very interesting. I'll look into that on my recently aquired R60/2 (not running yet). The bulk of my experience is with /5 and /6 so I am very familliar with the thumb screw. I had an R50/2 that I rode for about a year. That throttle always closed, at least so far as I can remember.

Thanks for the tip.

Bill
Bill H.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The little spring was removed from my R60/2, so the throttle returns on its own. But most of the bikes still have it and so the throttle stays put where you set it. Those were clearly before the days of big liability suits. You'll notice that BMW eventually stopped including the "cruise screw" on bikes, and then eliminated the threaded hole a while later.

These bikes are indeed a window into the times they were built and reflect the situation, culture and mentaility of that era.
--Darryl Richman

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum as I just purchased my first bike a recently restored 1968 R60/2. I have only one question as it is in great mechanical shape. A real first kick machine. I have however noticed that the throttle does not spring back to zero after adding gas as newer machines do. A friend of mine said that the older bikes like this one did not have a spring to force the throttle back to zero and that it just needs to be done manually. Is this correct?
Michael
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.