If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Drive shaft rubber boot

brettironbutt

Drive shaft rubber boot

Post by brettironbutt »

I discovered that the rubber boot protecting the connection between the transmission and the drive shaft is very cracked. I would like to replace it, but I figure I have to take the engine off to do so... disconnect the drive shaft from the transmission, bump the engine/transmission forward, slip the rubber boot on, then reconnect the drive shaft. Is there another way that does not require me to move the engine?

schrader7032

Re: Drive shaft rubber boot

Post by schrader7032 »

I've heard that one might be able to squeeze the boot between the mating surfaces but I'm doubtful of that. The only other way is to remove the swingarm pins and slide the rear of the bike backwards. I'm sure there are other things that have to come off like the battery tray, etc.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

FL54

Post by FL54 »

Do a search of the forum on the subject. I did this on a R50/2. IIRC Remove rear motor mount and tilt the motor forward. Gives you enough room to compress and squeeze the boot in. Requires strong fingers but it works.
Central Oregon

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

There is another way to do this without removing the swing arm.
1. Cut the old boot off, then pull the driveshaft bolts. ALWAYS replace the lock washers when you do so.
2. remove the rear wheel, and the right side rear shock bolt, from the final drive, and disconnect the rear brake rod from the brake arm on the final drive.
3. Remove the final drive from the swing arm.
Then you will have enough clearance to squeeze and install the new boot between the driveshaft swing arm and transmission.
And of course, put it all back together.
4. Remember when re installing the final drive with a new gasket, to put the rear axle through the swing arm and into the final drive before you tighten the 4 nuts on the studs of the final drive. The axle will position and hold the final drive in alignment. And you won't have to beat the rear axle in and out when removing it!
5. in order to properly tighten the 4 driveshaft bolts, install them finger tight, but wait until you have the rear wheel back on the bike, so you can use the rear brake to lock and hold the driveshaft still, in order to properly tighten the 4 driveshaft bolts.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

vechorik1373 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:26 am
1. Cut the old boot off, then pull the driveshaft bolts. ALWAYS replace the lock washers when you do so.
BMW doesn't supply the long bolts with lock washers anymore, just the short ones with no washers. It was shown that the lock washers could break, releasing the tension on the bolt allowing it to back off. Clearly replace the bolts whenever the old ones are removed as they tend to stretch when being tightened.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

cwf

Post by cwf »

what happens when the bolts work loose, one undoes completely, floats around for a while and finally jams the driveshaft, locks the rear wheel and tips you off.

I suspect a more attentive rider would have noticed something was loose.
Attachments
IMG_3379.JPG
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

metoo

Post by metoo »

The easiest way is just to move the motor forward. you will have to remove old boot, remove 4 driveshaft bolt, disconnect the mufflers, support the engine with trolly jack, remove engine support bolts (2 at the bottom, one on top), slide the engine forward and then you can replace the boot. Don't forget to install new driveshaft bolts.

niall4473

Post by niall4473 »

And don't forget the two spacers which will fall out when you move the motor forward.
Oil is always cheaper than metal

Slash2rider

Post by Slash2rider »

And when you disconnect exhaust pipes, remove top mount take the rear engine bolt out you can tilt whole engine and gearbox assembly and remove four more nuts and inspect clutch regrease spline and if you're this far you can remove the engine and put it on the bench and do full inspection.If I need to move the bike around I would tilt the engine if not will start from the back

Seek

Post by Seek »

You don't need to replace the driveshaft bolts each time. Those are not stretch bolts. Of course when they look old and worn, sure, replace them. But not on each and every driveshaft dismantle.