If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1966 R69S Sidestand fitment issues

velocejoe

1966 R69S Sidestand fitment issues

Post by velocejoe »

Hi,

New r69S owner here. Never had one before! I purchased an OEM sidestand, but it is is hitting the exhaust pipe and wont slide all the way onto the sidestand bolt. Can I just disconnect all exhaust fittings and slide out the headers away from the crossover pipe to gain the clearance needed?

schrader7032

Re: 1966 R69S Sidestand fitment issues

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! The side stand on my R69S has always been problematic and seems to clunk around before it comes fully up and stowed. I never really use the side stand, so I guess I haven't been interested in seeing what's going on. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Tinkertimejeff

Post by Tinkertimejeff »

The replacement R 69S exhaust system is usually the culprit here, some suppliers cut corners, claim its an exact which it turns out it is not an exact fit. Try to loosen all the exhaust stuff up and reposition it in little steps so the side stand clears without the clunk and obstruction. Some times you just can't get it right but you can get it better. You just have to remember cheaper is not always better or even close to good.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Be careful if you loosen the exhaust nut on the header. If it hasn't been off in a while, there's a possibility that the threads could gall. If you loosen it and it moves easily at first and then becomes stiff, best to stop at that point and reconsider any further turning. If it begins to gall, the best thing to do is to cut off the exhaust nut. You could try soaking the threads with a penetrant, but caution is the name of the game.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Seek

Post by Seek »

What happens to the quality of AI when AI now fills up the Internet with junk?