If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Contacting Someone on German ebay

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

You have to create an account on eBay. Then you should be able to contact the seller.

If your German is weak to nonexistant, the way to go is to write a message in English. Use very simple sentences. Don't use any slang. Run it through one (or more) of the translation services (Babelfish, Google, Alta Vista). Then run the result back the other way and see how it looks. Both translations will introduce errors, but it the retranslated version is way off the tracks, you should consider rephrasing again.

(One problem is that we have many words that have multiple distinct meanings. So do the Germans. The problem is that they're not the same. For example, in English nut is both something to eat and one half of a fastener. In German, there are two words, Nuss and Mutter, respectively. But Mutter also means mother.)

Anyway, I'd send an email with the original English version first and then the translated German version. Between the two the seller may be able to figure out what you're asking.
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

So, the account would have to be on German ebay, or will US ebay work too?

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

eBay is eBay.....an account in the USA works anywhere.

Bruce

RainyRider

Post by RainyRider »

I would be "somewhat careful" about buying a bike unseen on ebay.

I know someone who bought a bike on ebay, paid to have it shipped, then was so disappointed in the bike it just sat in the corner of his garage for six years. He finally sold it for $1,500 less than he paid for it six years ago. That's the bad part of the story. The good part is.... he sold that 1957 R-50 to me!! :)

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I was looking at an R25/2 for sale on ebay, for which no one bid. How would I go about contacting the person if I don't know anything about ebay? I don't have an account even on US ebay.

I was sort of interested in the bike and wondered a few things about it but couldn't contact the seller. Of course, things being in German doesn't help either...

Kurt in S.A.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.